April Issue

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
TerryG

April Issue

#1 Post by TerryG » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:05 pm

Open the front cover and you will see that Neil Campbell has got his hands on Vicki Butler-Henderson's "Fur" ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

mach1rob

Re: April Issue

#2 Post by mach1rob » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Lucky lucky B'stard! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#3 Post by mr rusty » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:10 am

Reading the Triumph sixes article I see that yet again the dangerous swing-axle myth is being perpetuated...... please please actually drive one of the cars with the alleged death-trap axle! You'll see that you don't actually need a run off area on every bend!

Yes, it does have the potential to spit you into the ditch but only really if you suddenly take your foot off the gas at full throttle in a tight bend, but this could only happen on the road if you're doing something really really stupid, and you'd probably be in the ditch whatever you're driving! I've never had a single scare from my swing axle, and I don't dawdle.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Raymk

#4 Post by Raymk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:32 pm

mr rusty wrote:Reading the Triumph sixes article I see that yet again the dangerous swing-axle myth is being perpetuated...... please please actually drive one of the cars with the alleged death-trap axle! You'll see that you don't actually need a run off area on every bend!

Yes, it does have the potential to spit you into the ditch but only really if you suddenly take your foot off the gas at full throttle in a tight bend, but this could only happen on the road if you're doing something really really stupid, and you'd probably be in the ditch whatever you're driving! I've never had a single scare from my swing axle, and I don't dawdle.
I could not agree more. I have not driven a Triumph six but had a Herald estate which was driven rapidly with no heart stopping moments. A friend with an early Vitesse also liked its sure footed handling. Having also owned several Skoda Rapids and Estelles, I actually preferred the handling of the swing axled variants over that of the semi-trailing arm later/higher spec versions, although all of my rear engined Skodas were a delight to drive rapidly. Like you said, you really have to be a poor driver to force most swing axled cars to misbehave......though a Renault Dauphine with large wheels and relatively short half-shafts and the occasional older Beetle have got their knickers in a twist whilst I have been following :)

Luxobarge

#5 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Agree. Just poor Daily-Mail style journalism IMHO. :roll:
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.