Auction Prices

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
Raymk

Auction Prices

#1 Post by Raymk » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Practical Classics remains as my favourite magazine, mainly because it caters for my taste in older vehicles and is not too proud to feature humble mass produced hacks, technical lost causes, cars from the 1990's and some appalling yet appealing heaps that Sam Glover dares to drive home. Even the occasional MGB or Stag articles will not put me off. Recently however, there has been a growing obsession with auction prices in many publications. The PC price guide was/is a good idea and has, for me, the right balance for the magazine i.e. it provides useful information as a guide to buyers and sellers. I really do not need pages of auction tables and price trends - I do not buy PC as an investment portfolio monthly. Yes, include an occasional mention of an exceptionally interesting vehicle that has surfaced at auction, but don't waste space with regular Auction News. Classic Car Weekly has also caught the disease - I rarely buy it now - and my subscription to Classic Cars will be cancelled this month because the good stuff has been displaced by endless pontification about auctions and values.

If I am in the minority and this content sells more magazines then I can understand the business case. PC seemed to be popular when concentrating on the practical aspects of restoring, maintaining and enjoying older cars. Please don't let the stockbrokers spoil the fun by hogging too much space :cry: :)

mach1rob

Re: Auction Prices

#2 Post by mach1rob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:24 pm

It's only a couple or 4 pages out the whole mag, I certainly don't feel they've gone OTT, and whilst I agree cars going for mega bucks hold no appeal, as short of a major lotto win, I'd never be in that market, but it is nice to see what your common or garden classic fetches under the hammer.