August issue

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
Oldcarnut

August issue

#1 Post by Oldcarnut » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:16 pm

I am not too sure about the Moggy "resto", it sounds like a cheapskate way of doing a resto, although the chap did all the safety parts body wise and mechanical.So it is a safe car, but it is nice to see a restored car looking like new again with all shiny body and wheels, although you may be afraid to get the car dirty.So the chap can use it like he stole her in the present condition..... :P .I think he should have changed to electronic ignition or at least put in a new set of points, condenser and leads in, but its his car and he can do what he likes, but if it was me I would at least give it some kind of a paint job anyway.

Oldcarnut

Re: August issue

#2 Post by Oldcarnut » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 pm

With regard to the chap in the mag thats converting the MGA from LHD to RHD, how can you just unplug the switches and plug them back in to the RHD dash? Would they not be too short?

The way that was suggested to measure an engine's cylinder capacity is good, but how can you reach down to mark the welding rod at the base of the spark plug hole? Could you not just measure the depth of the hole, and then subtract this from a mark that you put at the top of the hole?

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:35 am

Oldcarnut wrote:....how can you reach down to mark the welding rod at the base of the spark plug hole? Could you not just measure the depth of the hole, and then subtract this from a mark that you put at the top of the hole?
:? Yes, you could, but what you want to know is the distance from any datum to the piston crown at BDC, the actual measurement being that from there to the crown at TDC. Doing it as you suggested you'd need four data marked on the rod which could become confusing. The datum can be any point on the thread as the piston travel is the measurement you're taking. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:32 am

ive had to abandon my subscription....

TerryG

#5 Post by TerryG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:43 am

Given most of the complaints I see are about subscriptions I'm surprised Bauer have any customers left.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:05 pm

I saw the October edition when I was down south at the Metro Centre last Wednesday but didn't pick it up as I was sure that its appearance meant that my own copy would be waiting for me when I got home. Still waiting and good old Gillespie's haven't managed to get it to this side of the Wansbeck yet so I can't even pop through to Morpeth for a sneaky read in Smiths.
It's not just Bauer who cause problems with readers and their magazines arriving, some of their biggest distributors aren't consistent either. :x

The sooner it's possible to purchase, read and download the entire thing to a computer, the better!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:42 pm

i was very happy with the subscription service!! just a severe lack of cash after some very strange clients who seem to think its ok to make me wait for payment coupled with the bank managing to lose my salary for 2 weeks.. they even tried to charge me for going overdrawn!!!! didnt work though, i set the wife on them :lol:

TerryG

#8 Post by TerryG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:17 pm

I picked up the October issue in Tesco earlier. I will read it when the other half goes out tonight (as I have been given a LONG list of jobs I need to do today).
Sorry to hear your problems are on-going rich, is there an equivalent to the small claims court in France?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.