spring issue

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
rich.

spring issue

#1 Post by rich. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 pm

mine arrived today, the mr2 mk1 is mentioned but the mk 2 isnt.. they are extremly cheap, reasonable fuel economy & interesting to work on... id like to see one in the mag! danny if you are listening i dare you :lol:

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19440
get one soon before they all end up looking like this :lol:
Last edited by rich. on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerryG

Re: spring issue

#2 Post by TerryG » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:00 am

I'm surprised there haven't been a flurry of posts about the Ranchos that are for sale in rust in peace. They are about 30 miles from me if anybody wants to borrow a broom to sweep them on to a trailer ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Adam43

#3 Post by Adam43 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Cool XK engine in bits :D

Oldcarnut

#4 Post by Oldcarnut » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:15 am

I know its a bit boring and far too reliable, but my choice on the cars the guys bought for under a monkey would probably be the Honda. My other choice of the list of the 25 drivers cars would be the Saab of course and maybe the Quattro in second place.I dont know what Keith is thinking of driving around in the winter in a topless car ?...........So Neil gets my thumbs up on both.

suffolkpete

#5 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:06 pm

TerryG wrote:I'm surprised there haven't been a flurry of posts about the Ranchos that are for sale in rust in peace. They are about 30 miles from me if anybody wants to borrow a broom to sweep them on to a trailer ;)
I've seen better ones than those go for scrap. No demand apart from a hard core of devotees who have by now got all the Ranchos and bits they need.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Oldcarnut

#6 Post by Oldcarnut » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 pm

With regard to the wiring up of the hazard warning circuit, now I may be "water boarded" for suggesting such a thing, ;) but would it not be beneficial to use an *electronic* flasher unit.Instead of using two flashers, just have one,It would simplify the amount of wiring used, and it would not be affected by fluctuating currents in the circuit................... :geek:

Hazard Switch
30-permanent live feed to hz/sw)
15-ignition controlled feed to hz/sw
+- live feed into hazard relay/ind relay (depends on the use of one or two flasher units ,can be sometimes marked as 49)
R-right side indicator lights
L-left side indicator lights
49a-indicator switch

31-earth

Oldcarnut

#7 Post by Oldcarnut » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Just after reading about the Minor pickup, and was wondering, John mentioned about the front indicators and side lights are combined in the one unit.I believe some of the Ford Anglias used this as well, but how did they achieve to have the indicator part to flash orange/amber? I assume it had some sort of reflector? Now I know nowadays, you can get a indicator bulb already coloured orange, but this is only for the indicators, not the sidelight.Anyway these bulbs were not around then.Just been curious.

I also agree with the article on the Golf mk1 Gti "buying guide" when it said that the mundane versions were not exciting.It was probably the GTI that was the best seller and maybe was partly responsable for the sales of the others.Personally, I think the mk 2 was a nicer car than any other golf since, apart from the complicated carb versions.

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Dual filament bulbs, pre-1965 cars may have white lights to the front and red to the rear as indicators, which is how Minors were fitted up after the trafficators but before the flashers. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: