Almighty cock-up with the June edition of the mag.

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
Toledo Man

Almighty cock-up with the June edition of the mag.

#1 Post by Toledo Man » Wed May 23, 2012 8:07 pm

This has come to light after a couple of my Triumph friends were looking for values in the Price Guide. Lo and behold, it only goes as far as Marcos so somebody has cocked-up big time.

I've e-mailed Danny Hopkins about it.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)

rovamota

Re: Almighty cock-up with the June edition of the mag.

#2 Post by rovamota » Wed May 23, 2012 8:27 pm

The price guides are way out in my experience. Best thing to do is see what like for like models are selling for. According to the guide a Princess 2200 is only worth £1400 in concours condition, yet they have been selling for well over £3,000 in the last couple of years.

jpsh120

#3 Post by jpsh120 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Each months edition seems to contain several errors, I wonder if they have anyone proof read before going to final print?
The article about the healey 3000, sunbeam tiger etc in the latest edition quotes the healey as having triple carbs and yet in the picture there is only 2, unless I'm missing something?
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Wed May 23, 2012 10:00 pm

jpsh120 wrote:Each months edition seems to contain several errors,
Doesn't get any better does it? I read magazines to learn, and so with the consistent number of errors I don't bother any more.

Moved to "Feedback Area" by the way, as that's where this thread belongs.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Dave3066

#5 Post by Dave3066 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:32 pm

jpsh120 wrote:Each months edition seems to contain several errors, I wonder if they have anyone proof read before going to final print?
The problem is how far do you go with proof reading? I'm involved in the publication of technical and non-technical publications and invariably errors get missed, no matter how many sets of eyes have looked them over. I suspect that time is an issue and the proof readers will assume it is okay to go to print. Either that or the error is introduced during printing as that can often happen. Those sort of errors don't get picked up during random sampling of the print run as the guy watching the print run will not know when the list of cars in the valuations section finishes etc.

Dave
1966 Rover P6 2000 SC - in daily use and running like a dream
1972 Rover P6 3500S currently undergoing surgery
1965 Rover P5 3 litre Coupe - long term project

junkyarddog

#6 Post by junkyarddog » Thu May 24, 2012 5:53 pm

jpsh120 wrote: The article about the healey 3000, sunbeam tiger etc in the latest edition quotes the healey as having triple carbs and yet in the picture there is only 2, unless I'm missing something?

Yes,I spotted that too.

admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by admin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:51 pm

Really, a cock up did you say? Presumably you didn't read page 159 when it clearly states that 'This issue the latest prices for AC to Marcos, next issue Matra to Wolseley'

Yes the price guide has grown so big we've had to split it in two to fit all the entries in. This was rather than drop some models out of the priceguide, which would have been a shame. Mind you having said that, i still think some of the prices are way out especially the Ford models, but it's really difficult to keep on top of such a large price guide and the freelancer who puts these pages together does do his best, visiting several auctions each month to see what is selling and for how much.

However these problems are probably why all the other classic titles don't bother printing one anymore, mags such as Classics Monthly for example, so even with its flaws i think it's better to have something rather than nothing. Besides which, it's only a guide not a definitive answer - the clue is in the name...

Cheers, Neil.

PS, we don't know what happened with the Healey VS the rest feature, loads of stuff seems to have got jumbled up in that and we don't know how it happened. The proof i read didn't have them in i'm sure.

admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by admin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Plus, i forgot to say, we've put the entire priceguide up on www.practicalclassics.co.uk along with the club guide so you can all access / download the entire price and club guides for free at any time.

Nice aren't we?