Thanks for interviewing my dad

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
Oldcarnut

Re: Thanks for interviewing my dad

#11 Post by Oldcarnut » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:08 pm

When I read the article I thought of those two in "Bangla Bangers" and "Chop Shop" Tv show with Bernie and Leepu. Although the man in the articles mods would be safer I'd imagine :) .

junkyarddog

#12 Post by junkyarddog » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:04 pm

Nice conversion,those three cylinder Daihatsu engines are a little cracker,
heres a small vid of my own diesel powered classic ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MbrjI1Ztbk

s-type

#13 Post by s-type » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:33 am

suffolkpete wrote:Surely IVA is only required if you radically alter the monocoque or chassis. He claims that all his modifications are reversible.

Nope. It works on a points system, don't quote me but something like 5 points if you keep the chassis , 1 for engine 1 for gearbox and 1 for axles etc....

So even with a full 5 points for chassis being original (eg totally unchanged, which its not, as it was altered) this car would need an IVA.

I had assumed that as it was featured in a magazine and shown on public roads, it DID have an IVA and was legal etc, which is why I asked how the IVA went!
You all seem to be assuming this is a "dodgy" swap, if that's the case then I'll drop it, as I think the future will be fitting modern engines to classics. Especially at £1.40 a litre...
1967 S-type Jaguar -Running like a dream.
1971 DS420 Hearse. -Now actually running and has just run a 16.7 Quarter Mile @ Santa Pod. - bloody hell!

Oh and your 1995 Volvo is not a classic. Still think it is? Take it to a classic car show.....

suffolkpete

#14 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 pm

I think you're getting confused with the rules for retaining the registration number. As an amateur-built vehicle for his own personal use it would only require an IVA if structurally altered.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by admin » Wed May 02, 2012 2:18 pm

And the Chassis was totally unaltered, the floor was cut a little in one place but it was a totally standard chassis. It still used the original steering and axles which also count in the points system. Gearbox doesn't count in points and i think the engine is only classed at 1 point, so his score for the conversion is 1 point different from standard only, so no problem at all.

It was great to meet Terry, he's a hero of mine now. And if he wants to sell that car i'm first in line by the way...
Cheers,

Neil

rich.

#16 Post by rich. » Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm

are there any other conversions like that about?