Honda N600

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
suffolkpete

Honda N600

#1 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:39 pm

That article brought back memories. We had an identical one in the early eighties. An interesting drive with the twin cylinder air-cooled engine and constant mesh (non-synchro) gearbox, but it wieghed next to nothing and went like a rocket. Heating was provided by diverting the engine cooling air to the inside of the car, so it quickly filled with an oily fug. Even thirty years ago, the mainstream Honda dealers didn't stock parts for it. The big end went on ours too, in fact people used to approach me in petrol stations and say "I used to have one of those but the big end went" The intrepid restorer was lucky to find a half engine as the crankshaft is constructed like that of a motorcycle, with a one-piece roller bearing big end and assembled with a press. Repairing that is beyond the home mechanic. We sold ours for £200, seeing what they're worth now, perhaps we should have kept it. :cry:
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

JPB

Re: Honda N600

#2 Post by JPB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:09 pm

I just finished reading that piece. What a great story and the owner/restorer is a lucky lad to have such a tidy example of such a rare classic for his first car.

Mmm, orangeness aplenty. :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

Re: Honda N600

#3 Post by rich. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:53 am

i think he gets my vote for the restorer of the year..