Fuzz's oil article.

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
s-type

Fuzz's oil article.

#1 Post by s-type » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:59 am

Very interesting. I like this kind of thing.

One question though, Fuzz says don't use cheap oil unless you want to change it more often. Where is the research that shows this? I'm sure Fuzz would not have just said this unless there was proof?
I was just wondering, if as Morris lubricants helped with the article if this was their opinion as a premium branded oil, or if there really is independent research that shows oil blended in the same factory, but one with a top brand label and the other saying Tesco s is any different?

:D
1967 S-type Jaguar -Running like a dream.
1971 DS420 Hearse. -Now actually running and has just run a 16.7 Quarter Mile @ Santa Pod. - bloody hell!

Oh and your 1995 Volvo is not a classic. Still think it is? Take it to a classic car show.....

Fuzz Townshend

Re: Fuzz's oil article.

#2 Post by Fuzz Townshend » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:56 pm

Hello S-Type,
The reasoning behind said statement is that in general terms, less expensive mineral based 20/50 oils may be less likely to resist shear forces over a longer period. Also, dispersant and detergent life may be less than that of premium lubricants.
However, to be certain of greater lubricant longevity, check the specification given for the oil on the container or directly with the manufacturer.
Certainly, Morris Lubricants has a help line and can assist with specific enquiries about many aspects of their lubricants.
From experience, I can say that on the occasions that I have had to resort to using whatever 20/50 I can get my hands on for top-ups, no ill effects have been encountered. But when that has occurred, it has been my policy to change oil and filter at the earliest convenience in order to obtain more reliable service and change intervals.
If modern engines still used 20/50 we'd all be buying the synthetic version, but as current demand for such a product is relatively low, none is on general sale. If it were, at today's demand levels, we'd be looking towards a three-figure sum per gallon.
Therefore, we are currently using cheaper and to some extent, less capable products and as a result need to change our vehicle's lubricants more often.
I can be contacted directly at fuzztownshend@yahoo.co.uk, should you wish for any further info/clarification. You'll probably get a swifter response.
I enjoyed your post about current MoT legislation. We live in interesting times indeed.
All the best,
Fuzz