Subscription

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
suffolknick

Subscription

#1 Post by suffolknick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:36 am

So my renewal for Practical Classics happened this month. An automatic payment by direct debit for £49.15. A bit steeper than I thought it would be for "loyalty", especially with the last issue offering 26 issues for £50. Seems that it might be worth cancelling the subscription each year, buying a few issues from a shop, then re-subscribing using an offer!!! I just find it a little annoying.....

Luxobarge

Re: Subscription

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:41 am

Moved to "Feedback arena" area, as it's about the magazine...

You have my sympathy,.....

Loyalty?? :roll:
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Minxy

#3 Post by Minxy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I agree it does stink but in fairness s is not unusual. I have just had a similar scenario with the gym I am (was) a member of – last week in the local paper they were offering three months membership for the price of two, that same day I had a letter telling me my monthly subs were going up 12% with a twice yearly payment of £10 to cover ‘admin costs’. Well I have been toying with the idea of cancelling for some time because I have been using my push iron more for local trips and getting my exercise fix that way so that made my mind up. But yes I agree not enough is done for loyalty. :(
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

s-type

#4 Post by s-type » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:25 pm

suffolknick wrote:So my renewal for Practical Classics happened this month. An automatic payment by direct debit for £49.15. A bit steeper than I thought it would be for "loyalty", especially with the last issue offering 26 issues for £50. Seems that it might be worth cancelling the subscription each year, buying a few issues from a shop, then re-subscribing using an offer!!! I just find it a little annoying.....

Yep. do it. That's what I do each time Sky have a good offer.
1967 S-type Jaguar -Running like a dream.
1971 DS420 Hearse. -Now actually running and has just run a 16.7 Quarter Mile @ Santa Pod. - bloody hell!

Oh and your 1995 Volvo is not a classic. Still think it is? Take it to a classic car show.....

Young Farmer

#5 Post by Young Farmer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:55 pm

I saw that offer of 26 issues for the price of 1years subscription and rang Bauer media to take it up even though I had an outstanding subscription. I was expecting an argument that I was not eligible as I was already a subscriber and was ready to chuck the toys out of the pram,cancel subscriptions,never buy another copy etc when the young man on the phone said no problem all you have to do is cancel the existing direct debit and start a new one. So now I have 2 years of magazines starting in April as that is when my existing subscription runs out. Sorted
Dave

john-saab

#6 Post by john-saab » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:44 pm

My GF and her sister bought me the subscription fo Christmas..a great deal where you buy the 1st year and get the 2nd free..only trouble was the person who took the call wasn't in the mood so my 1st edition failed to turn up. My GF called to see what had happened and it appears that who ever took the details didn't do anything about it apart from take the money :x
But...the very helpful lady this time agreed to allow the "bogof" subscription to run even though that deal had finished AND I got this months freebee.. a set of imperial spanners that were put to good use yesterday..now all they have to do is get my name right as my name is John and they are sending the mags to Dawn..who ever she is :lol:
GO SWIFT-GO SAFE-GO SAAB

admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by admin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm afraid i tell people the same thing all the time - wait for the sub to lapse, then buy the issues at the shops until a subs offer that appeals to you comes up. That's what i used to do when i subscribed anyway.

Cheers,

Neil

SEE YA

#8 Post by SEE YA » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Maybe they should offer you, the latest free subscription gift at the time it runs out.

If you renew again?.
EVERY MILE IS A SMILE

StephenL

#9 Post by StephenL » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Sounds like the call centre monkeys are as bad as ever. My free gift from a gift subscription (from mother in law) was sent to her, yet I still got the magazines. Eventually I managed to speak to a supervisor through their complaints procedure (which of course was a load of work, hassle and time) but I did get the free gift in the end, as well as the original one which I relieved the MIL of the next time I saw her!

daugs

#10 Post by daugs » Fri May 18, 2012 5:33 pm

well despite being a loyal subscriber for 4 years, (on last one and a reader for 20 odd years) got a letter today saying price going up. Phoned up and asked about missed free gifts and was told that I kept the same price and that was the benefit of keeping old subscription. So explained that "deal" was being changed. So have voted with my feet and cancelled the whole subscription after being told they had to put the price up because costs were going up - couldn't explain which costs and didn't accept a lot of people aren't getting payrises..............

off to classics monthly site in disgust