january issue

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
rich.

january issue

#1 Post by rich. » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:34 pm

mine arrived today!!

love the longstone tyres ad :D :D :D

TerryG

Re: january issue

#2 Post by TerryG » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:49 pm

It's good but not as good as the pullout a few months ago.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:28 pm

It's ok I guess, but what a shame Longstone don't have the marketing budget to engage Anna Friel for those poster shots.

Good edition thanks in no small part to Sam's insistence on buying that Dacia, which, much as I love Renault 12s in all of their many worldwide forms, looks like it may have been made from the four-door saloon in the same way as the Peugeot 206, fashioned out of a Hindustan Ambassador with the help of a passing elephant in this classic TV ad! :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:03 pm

anna friel :D :D

do you think sam would like this??
http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/247782995.htm?ca=18_s

its expensive but ive never seen another...

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Anna Friel made a version of that too. Oh hang on, no she didn't, I meant to write that Dacia did a pickup version of their 12-derived range. We got them in the UK though I can't remember the last time I saw one even though they used to be pretty popular with skint builders whose funds didn't stretch to the Cortina-derived P100.

Below should be a picture of one such Dacia:
Around here, that would still be in regular use.
There was, and still is, a crew cab version of essentially the same truck though it now has a more modernish front grille and comes in some bright colours. The two seater variety is also still in production.

If Ms Friel were to park a red K10 Micra on my drive and step out of it unclothed and carrying 12 cans of decent lager I couldn't be more excited than I am at the thought of a pickup with Renault 12 DNA. :D

And it gets better yet. There's a dropside version of the 4x4 pickup:
These apparently come with the option of a 1.9 litre Renault Diesel engine these days. Oh wow, life just gets better and better. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:14 am

my mate bought a brand new dacia pickup... lost a fortune when he sold it a few years later..
jpb, you are one sick puppy!!
just like me :D

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#7 Post by Mrotwoman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:03 pm

Praise JAH for Sam Glover,for him be the ginger reincarnation of Haile Selassie himself pon dis earth.
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

Oldcarnut

#8 Post by Oldcarnut » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:33 pm

I would have loved to be roaming around that place that featured in RIP this month, with all the Hunters around.I have a soft spot for these cars. There is a decrepit one not too far away from me with a pile of stones over the bonnet.

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:05 am

There's still a decrepit Hunter in my parents' garden somewhere, a little more covered in Moss than in this 1986 image, and the tennis court is now more trees but I'm sure that damned car's out there somewhere. If it's not, then goodness knows where I put that when it died. :?
J

karlsgazelle

#10 Post by karlsgazelle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:25 am

Don't they still build the Hunter in Iran? I believe they are used as taxis in Tehran. Called the Paykan Hunter.
Attachments
Paykan-Taxi-Tehran.jpg
Paykan-Taxi-Tehran.jpg (121.27 KiB) Viewed 3564 times