September issue - Whaddya think?

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
admin
Site Admin

September issue - Whaddya think?

#1 Post by admin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Can't believe it's that time already but the September issue is now out. I'll be working on the November issue soon - yikes! Your thoughts etc feedback...

Come on peeps let us know what you really think...

paul

Re: September issue - Whaddya think?

#2 Post by paul » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:49 am

On first glance was the "classic tips" old stylee hints and tips a repeat?

Aar0sc

#3 Post by Aar0sc » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:06 am

paul wrote:On first glance was the "classic tips" old stylee hints and tips a repeat?
I thought that - the "Fan-See that" one's definitely been shown before.

And YEY it's already out! And this time Sainsbury's haven't hidden it sideways; behind Classics Monthly :P

And I am SO winning that jack; my one's keeled over at a funny slant and doesn't really fit underneath the cars!

Aa
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

Mattcortes

#4 Post by Mattcortes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Havent read it all as only got it yesterday but why are you quoting bhp improvement in an article about fuel consumption or is each section just a typo meaning mpg?

Or does removing the rubbish from your boot really improve your engines power? lol

Matt
Matt
1962 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe
1970 Triumph Herald 1360 Convertible
1978 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Mini City
1990 Mini Equinox
1969 Hillman Imp
1969 Morris Minor 1000
Scarab Formula Vee race car
5x racing karts, Rotax, pro, 100cc and gearbox.

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Mattcortes wrote:.....does removing the rubbish from your boot really improve your engines power? lol

Matt
Yes, if you replace the random rubbish with one of these:

which, in case the general clutter has confused anyone, is fitted to this:

And that is how to get banned from both the Kitten Register and SmartzUK on the same day.
About as appropriate as a moustache on the Baby Jesus,
apparently.

Please excuse my Reliant-based excursion from the plot. September's edition has that Jag with the Range Rover bits. That is - IMHO - a good thing. It also has a celebration of 40 years of the Marina. That too, and also IMHO, is a good thing, but why, oh why, does buying from a retail newsagent again - after subscribing for ages - feel so grubby?

Next month, I shall mostly be buying my copy in disguise.

Oh hang on, that's Crap, tickly plastics I'm thinking about isn't it.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

hobby

#6 Post by hobby » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Disappointed would rather sum up my feelings, both about this issue and most recent ones... That Marina bit was a prime example... I was hoping to get a bit of a read about the car, all i got was one photo spread over two pages, virtually no writing and a small photo in one corner... Even for a Marina fan it was hardly worth buying the mag...

I get the impression that you are trying to spread yourself too thinly in an effort to try to please everyone and, as far as I'm concerned, there's just not enough "content" just scraps of articles... Don't get me wrong, it seems that the "DIY" part is ok, but the rest is a quickly read mishmash with no decent reading...

Sorry, lads, but when my subs come up I doubt I'll be renewing based on recent copies...

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:18 pm

mine arrived today :D
dont sell the datsun danny! we need more of your heroic tales :D

karlsgazelle

#8 Post by karlsgazelle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 pm

£10 for a Minor brake disc conversion? Sounds very, very reasonable.

brownnova

#9 Post by brownnova » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 am

Not read all of it yet but like what I have! Especially liked the gas guzzler test, and the 4x4 Jag. In contrast to a previous poster I think the mag has really improved recently. I was havin a clearout and came accross some 3-4year old copies - and whilst these were good the current mag beats it hands down!

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:45 am

I've just had a quick read of the February, 2018 edition. That article about building your own time machine in an average, domestic single garage is really useful.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: