July issue - your thoughts please?

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
admin
Site Admin

July issue - your thoughts please?

#1 Post by admin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:28 am

Well it's been on sale for a few days - any feedback?

TerryG

Re: July issue - your thoughts please?

#2 Post by TerryG » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:55 am

I hate to start the "what is a classic" debate again but does a 2003 Rover 25 really belong in the magazine?
The 4x4 comparason was interesting, It started the G/F and I arguing over weather given an unlimited budget we would have the Quattro or the Jensen.
I can't wait to see the results of a rallying Marina. My dad had an 1800TC while I was growing up (it was fit for the scrap yard but i still have fond memories of it) so seeing one going round a special stage will be interesting. You should stick a camera on the dash and upload it to youtube with the growing collection of PC videos.
The tuning article prompted me to unseize the dizzy in my mog and set the timing for the first time since it had an unleaded head fitted about 15 years ago.
It's good to see the conclusion of the Firenza, shame about the long break but That's GM's fault.
That's as far through as i have got. I try and save PC to read on the train but the solid rain of last week has meant the tube is so crowded there was no space for reading!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:03 pm

slightly o/t, but how's the train more crowded when it rains? Do they run with fewer carriages to keep the weight down, in order to brake in the same distance on wet track or something? :?
I've never lived anywhere that couldn't be accessed more efficiently by car, so am actually quite curious about that.

On July's mag, not yet finished reading it, the fact that it's taking so much longer nowadays suggests that the content is - as has certainly been the case with recent editions generally - becoming more interesting than it had been during a certain period of the mag's history.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#4 Post by TerryG » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:27 pm

Keeping off topic: the tube is always busier when it rains as the normal comuters that would take a 15 minute walk / 5 minute cycle ride hop in the underground instead of getting wet.

Since the aniversary issue PC has generally been of a higher standard. Fewer spelling mistakes and typos. There seems to be more to read in the perfect bound versions than the older ones but that could be psycological as it feels like a higher quality product.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

vx490

#5 Post by vx490 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:39 pm

"Fewer spelling mistakes and typos" lol. Does illustrating the Vauxhall Victor FB Price Review on p111 with a Victor FC count? It's good to see the Firenza back on the road, of course - but didn't you just do a big article on re-sh*lling (asterisk added in case the DVLA are reading) 8-) . So are you going to tell us how they kept the same reg. no. ? Or is it best not to ask? ;)

admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by admin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:01 am

Ahem, best not to ask. I'd like to see the DVLA try to take on a manufacturer though over an issue such as this...

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#7 Post by Mrotwoman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:18 am

Great issue,liked the Jensen FF/Quattro/Scooby article,enjoyed the Rover restoration,strangely attracted to the Nissan/Datsun Sunny staff car but alas the 10 year old Rover 400 thingy is pushing it somewhat... :lol:
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

mytocon

#8 Post by mytocon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm

vx490 wrote:"Fewer spelling mistakes and typos" lol. Does illustrating the Vauxhall Victor FB Price Review on p111 with a Victor FC count?
Yep, I had a little chuckle at that, especially as Danny is an ex-FB owner but better than no Victor content at all, and more forgivable than a Chevette article I read in a.n.other (supposedly technical) magazine that the early one had an 1159 engine. Not cribbed from an HC Viva article, then... :roll:
vx490 wrote: It's good to see the Firenza back on the road, of course - but didn't you just do a big article on re-sh*lling (asterisk added in case the DVLA are reading) 8-) . So are you going to tell us how they kept the same reg. no. ? Or is it best not to ask? ;)
I built a Spotshatch on a Magnum 2300 GLS estate shell once. I kept the Sportshatchs ID. So I could go to prison,then.

On topic, mag's definitely getting better under difficult circumstances.

karlsgazelle

#9 Post by karlsgazelle » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:36 pm

The 8 year old Rover would have made a nice page in Car Mechanic but wtf has is got to do with classic cars....

And Ross Alkureishi, what's he all about? Shouldn't he be writing for the Telegraph or Horse and Hound? ;)
He's obviously ex Eton/Harrow/Charterhouse, what's he doing mingling with the oily plebeians.

[/grumpyoldbarstewardmode]

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:06 am

still waiting...