PC and direct debits

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
John B

PC and direct debits

#1 Post by John B » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 am

Now has anyone out there actually received the overalls /mini socket set/tool box or whatever, that was supposed to be sent out when you took out a direct debit to pay for PC. Must admit I have contacted them several times and they do not reply. So was it just one big con by Bauer publishing or is my direct debit not as good as other people's? Just curious folks . Cheers John
ps wonder if PC will respond to this...........

OneCarefulOwner

Re: PC and direct debits

#2 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Wed May 25, 2011 10:43 am

PC won't reply because this site has nothing to do with PC. If you have an issue with them, take it up with them.

I got my subscription gift within 2 months; that was a couple of years ago though...
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Wed May 25, 2011 12:39 pm

slightly ot but did anyone ever win one of the fabled pc prizes? i entered & never one anything, but thats normal for me!
im still chuffed with the longstone tyres poster :D

Aar0sc

#4 Post by Aar0sc » Wed May 25, 2011 12:49 pm

rich. wrote:slightly ot but did anyone ever win one of the fabled pc prizes? i entered & never one anything, but thats normal for me!
im still chuffed with the longstone tyres poster :D
No; I've never won :(

Loving the poster though :D
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

Young Farmer

#5 Post by Young Farmer » Wed May 25, 2011 3:16 pm

I like the poster too and yes I have won one of their prizes. I won the free retrim for my Wolseley 1500 in 2007 which transformed the car. It was done by Ragbag trimmers in Skegness and it saved me a lot of time and money. I had intended doing it myself as my grandfather was a saddler and had taught me to hand sew leather.
I wonder what happened to the cars that were given out as prizes that year ,any body know? I took photos of the car before and after and took them and a potted history of the car to the 2008 NEC show where the chap on the PC stand was not in the least bit interested. I would have thought after going to the expense of giving away cars they would use that as copy for future magazines.
I think this was pre Bauer ownership.

TriumphDriver

#6 Post by TriumphDriver » Thu May 26, 2011 9:19 am

Young Farmer wrote: I wonder what happened to the cars that were given out as prizes that year ,any body know?
Which ones? There are so many cars in each issue now I've completely lost touch with what cars each staff member owns, which ones they've sold, are working on or are driving. Every magazine they find their dream car that they've always wanted; within an issue or two it "reluctantly has to go to make room for: WAIT FOR IT! MY DREAM CAR!' and then they wax lyrical about how they've always wanted one of these... only to sell it within six months. None of them seem to keep their cars for a lifetime any more like the writers used to do back in the 80s and 90s.
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

Young Farmer

#7 Post by Young Farmer » Thu May 26, 2011 10:43 am

TriumphDriver wrote:
Young Farmer wrote: I wonder what happened to the cars that were given out as prizes that year ,any body know?
Which ones? There are so many cars in each issue now I've completely lost touch with what cars each staff member owns, which ones they've sold, are working on or are driving. Every magazine they find their dream car that they've always wanted; within an issue or two it "reluctantly has to go to make room for: WAIT FOR IT! MY DREAM CAR!' and then they wax lyrical about how they've always wanted one of these... only to sell it within six months. None of them seem to keep their cars for a lifetime any more like the writers used to do back in the 80s and 90s.
In 2007 PC gave away a car a month except September when they gave a free respray and October when I won the free retrim. The cars they gave away were;
Jan their restored Triumph GT6, Feb Triumph Dolomite1500, March Mazda RX7, April Audi 5E Coupe, Spring UAZ-452 van, May Singer Vogue, June '72 Granada July Their Westfield 9 (Winner still waiting! ) , August '80 Landrover , November Vauxhall Royale, and December a Toyota Supra.
Most of the cars were in need of a fair amount of work but I was wondering did any of them make it back to the road? There must be a feww stories behind each of them.

TerryG

#8 Post by TerryG » Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 am

I'm sure i have all those magazines at home so i could look up the reg plates and do a DVLA enquiry to see but it would definitely be interesting for PC to do a followup.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Dave3066

#9 Post by Dave3066 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:46 am

OneCarefulOwner wrote:I got my subscription gift within 2 months; that was a couple of years ago though...
Same here.

Dave
1966 Rover P6 2000 SC - in daily use and running like a dream
1972 Rover P6 3500S currently undergoing surgery
1965 Rover P5 3 litre Coupe - long term project

Luxobarge

#10 Post by Luxobarge » Thu May 26, 2011 12:51 pm

I've also had problems in the past getting the "free gift". There were loads of threads on the old forum about this too. I appreciate Danny sorting them out personally (and Matt before him) but it's pathetic that they should have to do so IMO.

Moved this to "Feedback Arena" in the hope that Bauer and/or PC team will see it.

Cheers ;)