Tractor please...

Need to sell your classic? Post details here, and remember to include photographs or a link to a photograph, your location, asking price and contact details. Please note: Commercial links may be removed, and posts over 60 days old will be auto-pruned to keep the content fresh. Please - don't post to "bump" your (or anyone else's) thread - gratuitous bumps and unrelated posts will be deleted.
JPB

Re: Tractor please...

#181 Post by JPB » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:31 pm

That's a 1500, the one I was talking about. Nice shade of brown, but "real" ;) Dolomites have an engine just like the one found in a Saab 99, though mounted the right way round.
There are a few folk who can make a large journal Stanpart ohv engine reliable and they do have a certain charm about them, but for actually driving the car on a regular basis, the 1500 is just too likely to fail its bearings prematurely even if it appears to be fine.

Don't suppose you fancy taking a look at the tractor? I'm waiting to hear but maybe the seller is fighting off the queue of potential buyers that's sure to be building up at his door, or maybe he doesn't want to sell to a foreigner? :(
I promise not to bring any viral diseases to his door! :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#182 Post by Dick » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:38 am

I really should pay more attention to these ads :oops: didnt the maxi take your fancy?
As for the tractor ill contact the chap myself and try and see it this weekend.. is there anything i should be looking for?

Dick

#183 Post by Dick » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:52 am

Im seeing the chap sunday morning 10 a.m. 😉

JPB

#184 Post by JPB » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:32 am

Rich, you are a f'kin legend! Tractors would seem to be pretty simple in general, so as long as its components are all in one lump and not clattering about in a barn having been dismantled several years ago, everything else is manageable, all it would have to do for me would be roll onto a trailer and not fall off on the trip over here. If it can be made to run, then listen for the deep, worrying engine noises that can affect any engine, but bear in mind that I'm not up for splitting a tractor so anything that would require it to be separated is going to put me off. Might still be a good thing for you to play with though, so even if it's too stuffed for my needs, don't hesitate to jump in and have a crack at it!

I reckon that the Maxi seems to be a pretty straight one and those AP four speed autos that can also be used as a manual in the lower three gears are appealing to me, in spite of their reputation for being a wee bit rubbish, but I can't even think about the Maxi, even if it's the best one left in the world, when there's a tractor in the mix.

:shock:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#185 Post by Dick » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Ive made an appointment for Sunday morning.. from what I understand the engine has been rebuilt and its got decent ish tyres fitted . Ill let you know what happens next.. if i do go mad and decide to buy a tractor id only get something relatively modern with a cab and powerful enough to lug my jcb around... although if i did that you might find a scruffy arsed vagrant living in your van, as wifey wouldn't be best pleased with me ;)

JPB

#186 Post by JPB » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:13 am

Dick wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:48 pm
..you might find a scruffy arsed vagrant living in your van..
Meh, it's part of life with an older campervan. Two towels are hanging up in the toilet area, I use the orange one, the green one is there for the use of squatters, scruffy arsed or otherwise. Oh, and drink out of the green mug please, the yellow one that says "J's mug" on it is out of bounds and will be booby trapped just in case.
:twisted:

Saying that, I'm currently - along with some other residents in this end of the village - doing the self-imposed isolation thing on the basis of the NHS' advice as there's a plague zombie a few doors down and anyone who has been in contact with her must stay indoors for a period of no fewer than seven days, fourteen if we're still not showing signs of plague symptoms at the end of the seven, so goodness knows when I'll be able to organise shipping for the tractor, should I be lucky enough to acquire it.
Maybe I'm being needlessly paranoid, but it seems suspiciously cheap, more so now that you've told me about the rebuilt engine though of course there are rebuilds and there are "rebuilds". I've been very lucky so far when it comes to buying vehicles from distant locations on the strength of instinct and whether the seller seemed genuine but, as the tractor's owner has yet to reply to my messages, I'm flying blind here so will be depending on your findings in order to gauge how to proceed. I am actually quite excited about this though. Or is that blind terror I'm feeling?
:lol:
J

Dick

#187 Post by Dick » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:51 am

John, i saw your tractor.. he's a genuine guy who has 4 tractors and a collection of allsorts.. i nearly bought the world's ugliest mx3... the owner reminds me of of a younger me with more talent.... let me know if you're still keen..
Last edited by Dick on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dick

#188 Post by Dick » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:56 am

If you send me an email ill try and send you a video of it running...

JPB

#189 Post by JPB » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:18 pm

OK, email address shall be sent by PM just as soon as I've submitted post number 10000. :oops: :thumbs:
J

Dick

#190 Post by Dick » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:12 pm

For some reason I fancy that mx3 :oops: :oops: