Tractor please...

Need to sell your classic? Post details here, and remember to include photographs or a link to a photograph, your location, asking price and contact details. Please note: Commercial links may be removed, and posts over 60 days old will be auto-pruned to keep the content fresh. Please - don't post to "bump" your (or anyone else's) thread - gratuitous bumps and unrelated posts will be deleted.
Dick

Re: Tractor please...

#211 Post by Dick » Wed May 13, 2020 12:16 pm

For spotting the sd1 dash You win today's star prize of whatever you find under the seat of your chosen transport! I must admit that the only thing I thought about the radio in the van was, can i get radio 4 long wave... :oops:

Dick

#212 Post by Dick » Thu May 21, 2020 8:03 am

JPB

#213 Post by JPB » Thu May 21, 2020 11:05 am

That's quite an interesting thing, from the point of view that I'm not sure whether I've ever seen one before. And believe me when I say that I've been studying tractors on the internet for far too many hours recently. :oops: ;)

Regarding my prize for the "identify the admittedly pretty easy to identify dashboard from a mystery car, which has been upcycled into a customised van" competition; I decided that I should probably look under the middle set of "rock n roll" seats/beds in the van as 1) they were rolling but only in one direction, meaning that they've been side facing since I bought Yoda almost a long time ago, so I had to uproot the seat frames and try to get them working in all directions again and 2) under there would - so I figured - be the best place to find my mysterious winnings, not least because the cab seats are attached directly to the top of the "bonnet", which is what that area would be on the Hilux and Land Cruiser models which share the chassis and oily bits of the 4x4 versions of the HiAce.
So, after driving all the way to the nearest Halfords branch to buy a new set of wipers for the world's tallest garden shed (well done for identifying the van from the registration number, Halfords. Many suppliers can't "because he's an import and doesn't officially exist in Europeshire" - Pffft!), and actually paying the £4 for their chap to fit the blades :shock: :oops: (and this wasn't even a cold day in hell but a rather warm day in reception range of the only FM station that the van's dodgy 14-20MHz converter allows me to hear when driving around locally - Radio Borders), I set off back down the road to attack the furniture. Long Story Shorter: I sorted the seats so that now it's possible to spin either or both sets of r 'n' r beds through a full 360 degrees and face any way you like when sitting at the beach, binoculars in hand, looking at the visitors capsizing their boats before they'd even left the shallow water and, er, driven? sailed? Let's just say "boated" as that covers the ones with engines, the ones with sails and the ones stolen from Spittal pleasure beach, with pedals and big numbers on the hull.
So far, so good, but when I shifted the seat/bed frames out to clean the floor beneath, I found my winnings! Yes, I scored for a whole Pound! :o I shall spend it on a supermarket trolley as they provide quite a lot of useful steel for the money ;) , and their "chassis" make excellent improvised spotlight brackets. Dammit! I could have used a plastic trolley token.. :oops:

Best part of yesterday: Discovering that there are clued up people on Halfords' payroll and that such shining examples of humankind are happy and willing to do their thing so that the rest of us can do ours without worrying about daft wee tasks like faffing around for hours fitting yet another set of refills to blades that were suffering from broken lugs, bent too often already. Bosch wipers, one pair, correct fitment for the van, so no random woodscrews and no broken bracketry from fitting yet another pair of refills! Total cost: £22, only a tenner more than the cost of generic refills. I have been very guilty of criticising Halfords harshly before now, and may do so again if they revert to their previous configuration post-plague whenever that time comes, but they are managing their whole approach to conventional retailing far more efficiently than the supermarkets and other shops, such as newsagents, which are still trading.

:|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#214 Post by Dick » Fri May 22, 2020 7:00 pm

John... i will say this only once... you can never spend too much time looking at old tractors... driving them is something else and id have a 7810 every time. From what I understand from your previous statements its safe to return to Halfords again?? Or have you been possessed by demons again?
Anyway i have a new suggestion, austin k8 coach. Not a tractor but you can live in it... Ive just seen a photo and i think it's true love...

Dick

#215 Post by Dick » Fri May 22, 2020 9:40 pm

JPB

#216 Post by JPB » Sat May 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Wow! I do believe that tractor-derived furniture is even more pleasing than an actual tractor, though not if that actual tractor is a Field Marshall as they must be the finest thing to look at, ever, even including the Pontiac Aztec! :shock:
Halford has continued to trade right through the lock down, and their approach to business works! Even the fitting of parts, which not that long ago would have been condemned by me as a terrible waste of money. The two slight snags are that they'll only sell one item at a time, which is fine as wipers come in twos, but also, my van is taller than the gazebo into which customers have to drive to access the counter. This I addressed by assuming (correctly as it happened) that the van's roof would lift the gazebo clear of the ground without damage to canvas (gazebo construction material) or thick, heavily reinforced GRP (van roof construction material, now properly attached..). In my defence, they did guide me in and at no point noticed that the gazebo had become mobile, a thing which gave the store staff something other than their wage packets to laugh about, though after I drove around the car park and drove back up to the counter to buy the wiper for the rear window (to comply with the rule about one purchase at a time :oops: ), the gazebo had been taken indoors so that I couldn't come back and have a second go at it. :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#217 Post by Dick » Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Please please tell me your visit to Halfords was filmed and i can watch the film :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JPB

#218 Post by JPB » Sat May 23, 2020 9:25 pm

I expect someone to have recorded the event, if only so that they could show it to the plod as evidence in any future prosecution for driving without due care and attention, or maybe reckless endangerment? I didn't notice a camera though, but I have a mercy dash over the border to make in the morning and could go the way that involves driving by the Halfords. I could then ask the counter person (if Halfords are back to sunday opening yet) whether they know of any such footage and if the car park is empty, I could take a mate and a gazebo with me in an effort to remake the original events of that day. I've even thought of a suitable title for such a film: The Day The Gazebo Came To Life..

:oops:
J

Dick

#219 Post by Dick » Wed May 27, 2020 11:45 am

Do it.. you know you want to..
Meanwhile
https://www.derlanzmannheim.de/Home

JPB

#220 Post by JPB » Thu May 28, 2020 3:56 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool: Oh wow! That's almost as beautiful as a Field Marshall, maybe even more so but far, far more eccentric. I reckon that one of these would make very usable daily transport for gentle local journeys, my favourite is this sort of thing, especially in black and white, or is it in colour in real life d'you suppose? https://www.derlanzmannheim.de/D8531_12
I cannot think of any other vehicle that shares its styling, I've never met one in the metal and I'm absolutely loving the idea. Whether the idea of having it posted and buying unseen - as I may yet do for a cheap, scruffy UK-sourced tractor - is a viable thing, or it's too bonkers even for me remains to be seen but that site is a source of many lovely things, thanks for posting.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
J