Thornfalcon meet

Is there a classic car event close to you that you think everyone should know about? Well post it here! You can also promote your local classic car club here too. Please - just post the details once, only post again if there are significant updates: gratuitous bumps or reminders will be deleted.
jpsh120

Thornfalcon meet

#1 Post by jpsh120 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:36 am

I will post up a link to all the pictures I took yesterday, but thought you might like to see this beauty in advance.......

1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

TerryG

Re: Thornfalcon meet

#2 Post by TerryG » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:34 pm

The badge says Bentley, I am assuming it is a one off. Whatever it is, its rather gorgeous.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:48 am

Oh dear, Terry, it surprises me that you'd consider that monstrous pig of a thing gorgeous considering that your Range Rover and Minor display fine taste in classic automobiles. I consider that gargoyle even uglier than the sort of thing I usually find attractive, which everyone else finds ugly of course and that's fine, because a forum where everyone's right would be pretty dull. :P
Oh what the feck, I want one anyway! A coat of fluorescent orange or Focus ST-style slime green, maybe some chrome 20s with spinners and a glitterball for a courtesy lamp would soon have it looking much better.

I'm off to SpecSavers, should I make an appointment for you when I'm there? ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

jpsh120

#4 Post by jpsh120 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 am

JPB wrote:Oh dear, Terry, it surprises me that you'd consider that monstrous pig of a thing gorgeous considering that your Range Rover and Minor display fine taste in classic automobiles. I consider that gargoyle even uglier than the sort of thing I usually find attractive, which everyone else finds ugly of course and that's fine, because a forum where everyone's right would be pretty dull. :P
Oh what the feck, I want one anyway! A coat of fluorescent orange or Focus ST-style slime green, maybe some chrome 20s with spinners and a glitterball for a courtesy lamp would soon have it looking much better.

I'm off to SpecSavers, should I make an appointment for you when I'm there? ;)
I fear now that when I reveal what it is you will be even more disgusted (possibly) when you see what they dismantle to make it......

http://www.bensportltd.co.uk/La%20Sarthe.html
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:39 am

Well I suppose it's one of those things that looks simply stunning from one angle, this one:
Image :drool: :drool: :drool:

But a right old minger from another:

Just goes to prove that money and taste aren't always related. Good luck to the maker though, anyone willing to pay loads and loads of cash to have a real classic Bentley vandalised in that way deserves to be taken for every cent, yen or dong in their offshore bank account.
I've emailed the company to ask whether they can do a Sherpa van replica based around the same chassis and oily bits.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#6 Post by TerryG » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 pm

I think it looks pretty sleek. As the only bit of a Bentley I could ever afford is the badge I'm never likely to be in a position to own an original, or whatever that is / was.
Unless someone happens to have one of these spare they fancy donating to me:
Image i'll be content to look at that for a while.
The RR is a design classic and the mog is a mog, there is nothing else to say about it.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.