Llangollen railway show, 5/6th July

Is there a classic car event close to you that you think everyone should know about? Well post it here! You can also promote your local classic car club here too. Please - just post the details once, only post again if there are significant updates: gratuitous bumps or reminders will be deleted.
kevin

Llangollen railway show, 5/6th July

#1 Post by kevin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Had a lovely, sunny day at this show today.
Made all the more pleasant by a ride on an old bus and a trip on the enthusiasts railway.

Kev

JPB

Re: Llangollen railway show, 5/6th July

#2 Post by JPB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:35 pm

What a wonderful looking assortment of proper motors. I'm not one for some of the moderns that appear at shows among classics, Figaros for example, although they're essentially K10s in March spec under their cutesy bodywork, don't appeal that much but there you have a Morgan that wouldn't be significantly different if it had been built 60 years ago and an X300, perhaps the last of the traditional Jaguar shapes, both worthy of their spaces there, IMHO. As for buses; you can't go wrong with those, especially not when they're green and have attic space.
:thumbs:
I rather like the look of the split screen Minor and was pleased to note that minis were apparently well represented. But that 1965 Singer, man, that's one fine car you have! 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#3 Post by kevin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:04 am

JPB wrote:What a wonderful looking assortment of proper motors. I'm not one for some of the moderns that appear at shows among classics, Figaros for example, although they're essentially K10s in March spec under their cutesy bodywork, don't appeal that much but there you have a Morgan that wouldn't be significantly different if it had been built 60 years ago and an X300, perhaps the last of the traditional Jaguar shapes, both worthy of their spaces there, IMHO. As for buses; you can't go wrong with those, especially not when they're green and have attic space.
I rather like the look of the split screen Minor and was pleased to note that minis were apparently well represented. But that 1965 Singer, man, that's one fine car you have! 8-)
Thanks JPB, she did me proud as there were some lovely cars..funnily enough, a bloke came straight over and told me he had tried to buy my car in 1990 and always wondered what had become of her.
Last time I attended this show was around 15 years back, with a classic bike at that time but it is so friendly, my jaw was aching from all the chatting and laughing.

Need a few show essentials now tho.
A small gas stove and lightweight kettle for those essential brews (I have a Stanley Aladdin metal flask that used to be great but now only keeps water hot for 3 hours max) and some better quality chairs. The 2 I have are lightweight to the point I dont think they are fit for purpose.

Kev

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 am

My friends Mike and Joyce - Citroen aficionados who tour in their Dyane or their GSA during alternate years - have a Kelly Kettle which solves the problem of having to carry both kettle and stove. It runs on pretty much anything that burns and although it does take some while to boil the water, is a massive classic talking point in itself, especially if they're towing and staying in their Chateaumobile folding camper rather than a tent that year.

Info on the Kelly is found here. Designed for twigs, in practice they're an ideal way to process the litter that builds up during an expedition. Last time I visited Mike and Joyce during the Borders leg of that year's tour, they were getting rid of some cardboard packaging by using that as fuel. Like the ads say; no batteries, no gas! Time from lighting up to boiling water being poured is typically around ten minutes so don't wait for thirst to strike before brewing up..
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:35 pm

i have camping stove like this. when im working away, its cheap & idiot proof & even i can use it.. we bought it 10 years ago as we didnt have a kitchen in our place & this was the wifes cooker for over 6 months until i fitted the new kitchen...
http://www.ecvv.com/product/1936785.html