Brunton Airfield show, warning: BRIGHT ORANGE STUFF HERE!

Is there a classic car event close to you that you think everyone should know about? Well post it here! You can also promote your local classic car club here too. Please - just post the details once, only post again if there are significant updates: gratuitous bumps or reminders will be deleted.
JPB

Brunton Airfield show, warning: BRIGHT ORANGE STUFF HERE!

#1 Post by JPB » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm

I was about to start by: It doesn't seem a whole year since I posted the pics from last year's event at this venue, but then I realised, when I couldn't find 2012 on the flickR, that I was elsewhere at the time so it's two years and some exhibits aren't the same as they were then.

Bright orange Campervans to start with:
Ford of some kind:
Landcrab/Hanomag hybrid:
Which does have a roof :oops: :
That green (Mercury) Montego that's in every one of the show threads that I've started on this forum and quite a few of Mitsuru's show threads too as the owner laughs in the face of the car's fuel habit:
Fiesta was super clean. How? The track into the airfield was the hackiest I've ever seen it. :?
Tiger was equally tidy, it sounded interesting too but access around it was hopeless because so many exhibits had been crammed in this year and I had already stopped several times to wipe cattle-related brown stuff off my tyres, there was a river of the stuff behind the Sunbeam :x :
Jim, Charlie Hungerford here, a slightly dodgy business contact of mine has just been intercepted coming onto the island with a big sack of coke, any chance you could square it away, me old mate?
Immaculate Grampian grey with Cumulus grey flash A60 is the same one I mentioned in the "what classics have you seen today?" thread back in the week. Minty minty, made me miss my last one:
Slightly scraggy Wolseley 16/60 on transporter, this allowed the owner to display several of his cars in the space usually needed for two:Image
This other 16/60 also playworn but in fact much better underneath, I'd have written the certificate for it there and then if the brakes worked and the tyres hadn't been a bit rotten. The Austin (or Morris, can't remember :oops: ) 2200 Landcrab was another ten yard car that looked great at that distance and wasn't too bad apart from the obvious and yes, the Viva HC was as good as it appears, a really straight wee car that:
Sapphire was another gem that stood up to close scrutiny. Just try to ignore the mud:
Rat look isn't just for shagged-out Loaves, this tractor was doing it well. Fully road legal it had arrived under its own power, pulled well in yesterday's matches and had new tyres and other essential parts:
Mammy and Daddy Leyland with their baby between:

There are more, especially tractors as I'm developing a stronger interest in those :oops: , view today's selection of stuff at this flickR set.

One last for now. The caravan's modern and the Toyota Oral or whatever it'c called isn't exactly massively special either, but the owner of the rig had his chainsaws all sitting outside the van on these picnic chairs. :?
I really wanted to make a sign to stick on the van saying something Hillbilly like "Hey y'all, I gots saws, best stay away now, else ah'll be eatin y'all's brains fur ma tea..."

J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

Re: Brunton Airfield show, warning: BRIGHT ORANGE STUFF HERE

#2 Post by rich. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:53 am

is that tractor a someca?

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 am

The rat looker? He's an Allis-Chalmers, the maker's name is still just visible along the sides just above his engine. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:41 am

eyesights not what it used to be :D

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Neither's that Allis-Chalmers but the tractor still manages a daily ride! :lol:
J

mach1rob

#6 Post by mach1rob » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:47 pm

JPB wrote: Slightly scraggy Wolseley 16/60 on transporter, this allowed the owner to display several of his cars in the space usually needed for two:Image
I hope he tied it on better than the Italians did! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHRFqRbA ... page#t=100

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:50 pm

:lol: I must have watched my Betamax copy of The Italian Job at least a dozen times every year for the past 30 years :oops: and I've never, before now, noticed that the A60 in that clip had a great big rusty hole in its offside sill! At most, that car could only have been around 8 years of age in 1969 when the film was made.
Now OK, holey sills in an A60-shaped car aren't altogether unheard of but in an almost new example? Most odd.

:o
J

TerryG

#8 Post by TerryG » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:22 pm

Didn't BMC cars come with rust holes as a factory "option" ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:03 pm

I have a theory: Back in the late '50s and through the '60s, rust holes were in short supply as GM made them in-house and sold the holes on to other manufacturers to meet the wider demand as these things were becoming quite popular at the time. However, the UK-spec GM rust hole, part number CR-140503/GBR, was found quite incompatible with certain cars, specifically those designed by Italians such as the BMC family-sized range mentioned.
That - in my opinion as a fellow of the appropriate professional body, the Institute of cast absent metal engineers - is how these holes were seen far less frequently on BMC vehicles than on their GM and Ford equivalents.
If only this incompatibility issue had been addressed in a more effective manner then who knows, we might still be able to buy a BMC car now, safe in the certain knowledge that it would have neither fewer nor smaller holes fitted than the quantity or size found elsewhere across the industry.

And the moral of this tale? Grab any hole that you can as the world isn't as full of the fully compatible variety as we might wish it to be. :oops:
J