FBHVC Drive It Day - 22 April 2012

Is there a classic car event close to you that you think everyone should know about? Well post it here! You can also promote your local classic car club here too. Please - just post the details once, only post again if there are significant updates: gratuitous bumps or reminders will be deleted.
Talking Hoarse

FBHVC Drive It Day - 22 April 2012

#1 Post by Talking Hoarse » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Will PC forum members /owners be recognising this and out on parade? Besides myself of course.
What are you planning to do with your classic on the day?
Me - I am undecided. I will either be out to marshal on the Ilkley Jubilee rally (at Skipton), or to marshal a test or a control somewhere in Northumberland or the Scottish Borders (Kelso) on the Flying Scotsman rally. Either way I plan to take my Datsun (ie trundle around in it). Both these events include competitive speed tests + road sections for historic cars, the Flying Scotsman is for 1940's & earlier cars (& very esoteric cars indeed many with real race provenance).
Ed

Aar0sc

Re: FBHVC Drive It Day - 22 April 2012

#2 Post by Aar0sc » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:08 pm

I'll probably be getting a fresh MoT, it runs out about then. I think...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

tornewtsam

#3 Post by tornewtsam » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Torbay Old Wheels Club have a drive planned which I will be joining, can't say where it will be though as it's a mystery tour - hope the oranizer knows :o

mach1rob

#4 Post by mach1rob » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 pm

Torbay perchance? :lol:

tornewtsam

#5 Post by tornewtsam » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:57 am

Well it was round Exeter actually, weaving through the city to the amazement of the general public. A great idea for Drive it Day to show off the cars and bring classics to the wider public. A few showers but managed to avoid the very heavy rain forecasted. Rounded it off with a cream tea. Naughty but nice!

Talking Hoarse

#6 Post by Talking Hoarse » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:45 pm

I was out 2 days running with my Datsun Bluebird estate - marshalling in Yorkshire, & on FBHVC Drive it Day marshalling in Durham & spectating in Northumberland on the Flying Scotsman - an endurance rally for pre 1942 cars. Many of the cars were very very esoteric - with period Mille Miglia & Le Mans race provenance, and there were (I think) 29 Bentleys for a start. I spotted cars from USA, Britain, Italy, Germany & France, entrants from same countries + Netherlands & Switzerland.
Some of the cars are discretely modified for the purpose - as you may spot in the pics. Nearly all have Brantz or Halda rally clocks fitted, many had radial ply tyres. Most of the cars are driven very enthusiastically & unbelievably quickly - especially in the speed tests /trials. One of my favourites was a pre war MG TC that not only had those, but a roll cage, seat belts, telescopic shock absorbers and braided hoses, it was driven from and back to Germany to compete in the event.
The hotel etc car parks used by these cars must have been worth many miliions of £'s when they were parked up.
There are a few pics & stories posted @:
http://www.britishrally.co.uk/forum/vie ... 0&start=60
http://www.endurorally.com/fscot2012/reports.shtml
f you are interested - some footage spotted on Youtube of some of these grand old cars driving abnormally sedately:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF9sFoxhRjQ
Just for good measure - my Datsun is caught in the clips at far side of X roads from about 2 minutes in.
On the Sunday there were lots of other old cars out and about being driven in Northumberland - I spotted Rileys, Alvis, Minis, MGs, Rolls Royces, Bentleys and Fords, and even a Marina camper van.
Ed