Le Jog 2011

Is there a classic car event close to you that you think everyone should know about? Well post it here! You can also promote your local classic car club here too. Please - just post the details once, only post again if there are significant updates: gratuitous bumps or reminders will be deleted.
Talking Hoarse

Le Jog 2011

#1 Post by Talking Hoarse » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:47 am

Sorry I am late at posting this.
Le Jog started yesterday. Finishes (in John O'Groats) on Tuesday 13th. Details are @ http://www.heroevents.eu/Events/LeJog/le_jog_2011/
Sam Glover is in his magazine featured Marina, also the McLeans (they were featured in the mag a few months back with their Rover P4) are entered in their Rover (however I think they have had a breakdown and may appear in their 105E). There are lots of wonderful cars out - and a few more notable entries - I spot a cerian James May in a 1937 Riley, & Ron Palmer (he was Malcolm Wilson's navigator in the 1980's) in a Jag.
Ed

JPB

Re: Le Jog 2011

#2 Post by JPB » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:46 pm

I'll be popping over to Eshott airfield to see the cars through on Sunday morning as that's only about 6 miles from here, then I'll be heading directly up the A1 and over Wooler way to Chatton to await them at their next stop, which they're approaching by a much less direct route that's already suffering from a covering of the old snedge so it should be a good one this year.
Last time I watched some of the LE-JOG action, it was at the Cragside House stage - by Rothbury - in the late '90s, so this is a well overdue Winter day out, doubtless culminating in Sunday's dinner at the pub in Chatton whose name escapes me for the time. :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Talking Hoarse

#3 Post by Talking Hoarse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:24 am

I had to chicken out of being in orange this year, but made it to wander around the Gosforth Park hotel car park this morning.
Lots of cars looking well, including a Peugeot 403 & a 404 which are very rare for UK events. Star car for me was an immaculate (but of course dirty) Morris 1800S "land crab". Got to mention a very smart 240Z too of course.
Several cars getting attention by Hero Assist, and a Triumph 2000 sounding quite poorly with head gasket huffing away. The PC Marina was having its rear brakes adjusted (by a very cheery Sam Glover?) - he was indeed wearing his jacket & tie.
Sadly I saw no sign of McLeans Anglia (that replaced their Rover P4 before the start).
Most cars had cold weather /winter tyres fitted - favourites seemed to be Vredestein Snowtrac's.
Ed

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:24 am

Well I'm aiming to take some pictures at the Percy arms later, where the teams will no doubt be resisting the temptation to indulge in a stirrup cup or three before setting off westwards to the test at Tranent.
Yes, I did get the days wrong in my earlier post. :oops: :D

I'll bet it's been a while since they let a Marina into the Gosforth Park Hotel's car park! I'm almost certain that the Sandy Lane entrance has or used to have (when we stopped over there for a night on the 1998 event) a sign saying
Don't even think about sneaking that infra-dig mode of transport in up the back way, either buy a Bentley or sod off
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

arceye

#5 Post by arceye » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Any idea of a rough timescale for them reaching JOG anyone, I might head over to take a peek if I can get away.

Talking Hoarse

#6 Post by Talking Hoarse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:32 pm

arceye wrote:Any idea of a rough timescale for them reaching JOG anyone, I might head over to take a peek if I can get away.
Thats easy! 10.17am.
http://www.heroevents.eu/Events/LeJog/l ... ator_info/
Looks like there is a test there too - well worth a peep to see older cars being flung around cones autotest style.
Ed

arceye

#7 Post by arceye » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Thank you very much, I think I might go take a look :)