International Moke Day - Victoria Australia

Is there a classic car event close to you that you think everyone should know about? Well post it here! You can also promote your local classic car club here too. Please - just post the details once, only post again if there are significant updates: gratuitous bumps or reminders will be deleted.
bnicho

International Moke Day - Victoria Australia

#1 Post by bnicho » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:58 am

International Moke Day was concieved about five years ago to promote people using their Mokes on the last Sunday in September, worldwide. It's turned out be pretty succesful and I have participated most years.

This year my IMD started with an unexpected setback. I went out to the garage at 8:15am with time to spare, only to find Mopoke's battery was flat. I ripped the battery out of my MR2 and quickly swapped them over. Fortunately it fitted okay. Then I pounded down some dirt road shortcuts to save time. I was a little late to the first meeting point.

Geelong/Lara/Werribee/Surf Coast group meet up at Little River - five Mokes:

Geelong crew at the Mount Wallace Cross-Roads, where we would meet the Melbourne group. We arrived first and had to back-track after over-shooting it. It wasn't much of a cross-roads.

Some of us, could not hold off for a proper bathroom any longer. Luke with the blond afro stands guard in case of drop bears... :)

The Melbourne group arrived and the numbers swelled. Now we were 15 Mokes.

What a perfect day for Moking. The sun was bright, but not so bad you would get burnt. There was a chill in the wind. For the hardy among us who travelled with tops down or doors off, winter gear was required when on the move. The jackets quickly came off when we stopped.

We travelled some great backrods with almost nill other traffic:

Entering Ballarat we lost a few briefly as traffic lights divided us, before regrouping:

Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

bnicho

Re: International Moke Day - Victoria Australia

#2 Post by bnicho » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:06 am

Part 2

Mopoke, my Moke, in action. :)

We arrived safely at our final destination on the shore of beautiful Lake Wendouree. Another Moker was alreday there, having driven from Bendigo by himself. All sixteen Mokes lined up:

The usual admirers, questions, and tourists taking photos of themselves with the Mokes ensued.

A Ballarat local's Moke was not yet finished, so he brought his tin snail instead:

Finished for the day, Geelong group leaving:

I travelled home via Bacchus Marsh, visiting a mate who couldn't make it on the way. I finally arrived home about 7pm.

More on International Moke Day here:

http://www.moke.com.au/mokeevents/inter ... y/imd-2011

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

Re: International Moke Day - Victoria Australia

#3 Post by Mrotwoman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:02 am

Great pics Brett,looks like a fantastic day out 8-)
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.