P6s on the Green M25 Junc 18 Wed 3 Aug 2.30 to late!

Is there a classic car event close to you that you think everyone should know about? Well post it here! You can also promote your local classic car club here too. Please - just post the details once, only post again if there are significant updates: gratuitous bumps or reminders will be deleted.
Grumpy Northener

Re: P6s on the Green M25 Junc 18 Wed 3 Aug 2.30 to late!

#11 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:29 am

There is some strange affliction that effects some P6 owners - some type of disease but I do not think it's viral - more something that they were born with - I call it 'Rover P6 Magpie collectus customos'

They obtain a P6 then do all that they can to make it look really good, nice paint, nice chrome, clean underneath etc - but then they get it into there heads that they have to bolt every available optional trinket to it !!! - ET headrests, Lucas square 8 fogs, mudflaps, boot mounted spare, sunroof, badge bar etc.

They do not stop there either they find bits of copper, brass & alloy that they can polish to within a millimetre of it's life, then they decide that under engine areas have to be repainted gloss black instead of the satin black that it left the factory with, some of them even have to take the paint off the radiator headers because there is metal underneath it that they can polish !!

Unsure why they bother turning up at classic events then - they would be more at home at a custom car show.

I appreciate that some cars would have had a full range of options when the were new but next time you see a line up of P6's I will let you guess how many are true to the original state in which they left the factory / showroom.

I am all for getting the best out of what you drive / own but they comes a point to where one should stop and consider the originality of the car - thankfully I have never been effected by the disease and it's just as well I am not the concourse judge doing the P6 line up - In my book they off their heads - but each to their own I suppose.
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

bent8rover

#12 Post by bent8rover » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:20 am

I'm just glad folks want to keep them far better than tidy - they were in the doldrums for too long :D

Will say though I took my P6B to two club events and there wasn't much friendliness for the effort of driving to meet, or for the car itself. It was running (well), complete and solid (where it counted), original fittings (including number plates 8-) ), but the paint (Paprika) was quite mismatched and it had been converted from an auto. Maybe I was too young (early thirties) for the members to deal with, or maybe not dedicated enough (as it wasn't my only car). Or maybe they just didn't like it. I don't know.
Vauxhall FB VX4/90, Daimler XJ40, Alfa 33 Mk1 Gold Cloverleaf, Rover 418 GSD

Grumpy Northener

#13 Post by Grumpy Northener » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:56 pm

I have to say I have found both the P6 clubs slightly strange - my P6 is better recieved at non Rover meets / clubs - in fact I am member of the Jowett car club (has I have one of those too) and they always pleased to both see it and hear it!
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

ajcb

#14 Post by ajcb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:16 am

John

I have heared that show plates now have to have the fact that they are show plates printed on the reverse of the plate by the manufacturer of the plates. I kmow that some plate manufacturers do this and add a statement to the effect that they are not for road use. I am not sure if it is now compulsory to do this or if it is a voluntary thing done by some manufacturers to cover themselves if a vehicle is found on a public road with one of their showplates on it.

Do you know which police forces are making a point of pro-actively enforcing the number plate laws with regard to classic cars? Is it just the Hertfordshire constabulary ooor is it all police forces tightening up and being pro-active on the matter? I have never heared of an actual case until you mentioned the chap in the 1973 Morris being stopped after leaving the Classics on the Green show earlier this month.

Cheers

Tony

JPB

#15 Post by JPB » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:24 am

Classics on the what now? Methinks you have me mixed up with someone from the South. ;)

I've been informed of a variety of such penalties being handed down, several in the Lothian & Borders force area, others in the Strathclyde, Northumbria and Sussex force areas so it would appear that the idea has started to spread.
:shock:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#16 Post by Mrotwoman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:19 pm

I can confirm that Surrey Police are cracking down on this type of caper,as I've just had to pay a £90 fine (originally £60 but I stupidly argued the toss) ,I've never heard of a Q plate being issued though,that does seem drastic in the extreme.
Thing is I really want a set of States plates for the Cadillac,loads of yanks run 'em (approx 90% at the last show I went to,and no they didn't swap them back for the trip home) but is it worth the risk ? :|
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

JPB

#17 Post by JPB » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:43 pm

Oh aye, the Q is the absolute last resort and has only been issued to people who've been caught using the same plates after three or more warnings. It's rare, but does happen. :(
Mrotwoman wrote:I stupidly argued the toss
I hardly think it's stupid to argue over something that's so illogical** but the trouble is that, when you do, unless you have appointed one of those legal loophole experts whose fees would undoubtedly cost far more than the penalty in the event of your losing, then they'll probably have you condemned to hang in their minds even before the magistrates have been dragged out of the pub.

**-Is there any logic in the law being so strict about things that neither threaten national security nor cause people any real offence?
I would dare to suggest that there isn't, and am sufficiently cynical to suggest further that the raising of cash is a factor, but that's taking Tony's thread even further from its original purpose of showing us nice piccies of nice old motors.

Sorry Tony, I didn't mean to trample all over your thread. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

bent8rover

#18 Post by bent8rover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:55 am

JPB wrote:further from its original purpose of showing us nice piccies of nice old motors.
Good point

Taking it further, here is a P7