Strathaven Classic Car Rally

Is there a classic car event close to you that you think everyone should know about? Well post it here! You can also promote your local classic car club here too. Please - just post the details once, only post again if there are significant updates: gratuitous bumps or reminders will be deleted.
karlsgazelle

Strathaven Classic Car Rally

#1 Post by karlsgazelle » Fri May 20, 2011 1:06 pm

It's only a small event, organised by the local round table, proceeds going to several worthy causes.

It is on this Sunday 22nd May in Strathaven, South Lanarkshire.

"This is an official non-car-snob event. If you have an Allegro Equipe, a Trabant or a Reliant Robin you are more than welcome. If your vehicle is actually used so much the better. That said, first class cars, vans and trucks and so on of the more "accepted" classic marques are of course also welcome."

http://www.srtclassicshow.co.uk/

Regards
Karl

JPB

Re: Strathaven Classic Car Rally

#2 Post by JPB » Fri May 20, 2011 2:07 pm

If you're going to the event and you should happen to see this:
On display with a bearded chap by the name of Brian at the wheel or somewhere close by, please tell him John says hello and that I haven't forgotten all of my friends from the Thistle Branch of the Reliant Owners' Club.

(The car is "old Number Three", the only surviving pre-production prototype Rebel left in existence, it has been painted since I took the photo about 9 years ago when we rescued it from its barn near Carlisle but remains otherwise largely original).

I might turn up on the day and surprise the Relianteers but can't help feeling that I'm already supposed to be somewhere else.... :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

karlsgazelle

#3 Post by karlsgazelle » Sat May 21, 2011 12:57 am

I will look out for Brian, and pass on your message.

I hope to see you there as well, I'm afraid your reference to having to be somewhere else went right over my head, I must be getting old. :oops:

Dave3066

#4 Post by Dave3066 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 am

I went to this event and the turnout was pretty poor due to the bad weather.

The rain showers just kept coming one after another. It was most amusing watching everyone jump out and dry their cars only for the rain to start again shortly after :lol: I hate to think what all that drying was doing to their paint finishes :shock:

I left about 2pm as I could see others struggling to get off a field that was rapidly descending into a mud bath.

Well done to the event organisers for sticking with it on a bad weather day.

Hopefully better weather next year.

Dave
1966 Rover P6 2000 SC - in daily use and running like a dream
1972 Rover P6 3500S currently undergoing surgery
1965 Rover P5 3 litre Coupe - long term project