speed camera detector

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
mistertoad

speed camera detector

#1 Post by mistertoad » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 am

What's the best, most effective, speed camera detector for the UK, legal or illegal!

I feel I'm missing out on something without one, I was on the A1M Good Friday and on the long four lane section there was not a car in sight as far as could be seen in front or behind, ideal for a bit of toe, but I thought that the cameras would still be running so stuck to the limit.

Eventually a Merc came rapidly up from behind at what must have been a ton or more, suddenly slowed, then accelerated away again, he must have known of a site invisible to me, or maybe loops in the road.

TerryG

Re: speed camera detector

#2 Post by TerryG » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:10 am

You can get a plugin for most GPS units for the statis sites, if you want a radar / laser detector i have a Snooper but I have heard good things about Road Angels. Detectors can be INCREDIBLY irritating the radar bit is frequently triggered by airports (it goes off every time i pass east mids) and it beeps every few minutes saying it has detected a radar pulse even if i can't see an obvious source. The Laser warning has been completley accurate
Best way of keeping your licence: don't speed.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#3 Post by mr rusty » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:37 am

What's the best, most effective, speed camera detector for the UK, legal or illegal!
....your eyeballs. Look out for the yellow box on top of the pole!! I drive past Britains biggest earning speed camera every day at the lane drop at the bottom of the M11, you can see it from a quarter mile away, there's big signs coming up to it, yet still it catches people, day in, day out... :roll:
Eventually a Merc came rapidly up from behind at what must have been a ton or more, suddenly slowed, then accelerated away again, he must have known of a site invisible to me, or maybe loops in the road.
..or more likely the twit driving just dropped his phone!
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Martin Evans

#4 Post by Martin Evans » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:18 pm

The off road motorcyclists, who were riding past the shop over the weekend, seemed to manage by having no number plates or one covered in crud. Some of the local farmers tow trailers, that have no number plates fitted or ones that don't match the ones on the towing vehicle.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

Rhythm Thief

#5 Post by Rhythm Thief » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:09 pm

I never watch for speed cameras. But I do know what the speed limit is and how fast I'm going at all times. No points ever in 23 years of driving (12 of those as a full time lorry driver). ;)

tractorman

#6 Post by tractorman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Martin Evans said:
Some of the local farmers tow trailers, that have no number plates fitted or ones that don't match the ones on the towing vehicle.The off road motorcyclists, who were riding past the shop over the weekend, seemed to manage by having no number plates or one covered in crud. Some of the local farmers tow trailers, that have no number plates fitted or ones that don't match the ones on the towing vehicle.
If the farmer owns the vehicle that the trailer number plate belongs to, he doesn't need to put a second one on. I have two numbers on my trailer just in case someone decides to be awkward - but I have three tractors. However, the third tractor has it's rear number plate high up on the cab (about nine feet high!) and so it doesn't need its number on the trailer as it can be seen above any load I will put in the trailer.

I've been driving 40 years and have no points either! However, I was done for speeding in a temporary speed limit in the early 90's and was lucky - the law changed a month or two after I was caught, so that offenders do get points. I do try to keep to the limit, but the moderns are so quiet and smooth that I find all too often that I am going much faster than I realise!

My brother-in-law is an HGV driver (for more than 40 years) and, until 20 years ago, had never had a ticket - he's just been caught again and is having to do a speed awareness course instead of collecting a few more points!

jimmyybob

#7 Post by jimmyybob » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:58 pm

To answer the question i hear good things about the snooper and its been around for a while.

richardtaylor

#8 Post by richardtaylor » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 am

Agree that the GPS products are by far the best - just need to update them frequently.

I tried a Snooper (Non GPS) and it wasn't good to say the least - often went off for no reason then wouldn't go off when you drove past a camera. I took that back and got a GPS based product which was great: Try a proper car audio / electrical shop (Not Halfrauds!), for some decent product advice.

Dave3066

#9 Post by Dave3066 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:39 pm

tractorman wrote:If the farmer owns the vehicle that the trailer number plate belongs to, he doesn't need to put a second one on.
Quite right but if pc plod spots it you will probably get pulled over. Never a good idea to give them an excuse to stop you, they'll inevitably find something else.....

Dave
1966 Rover P6 2000 SC - in daily use and running like a dream
1972 Rover P6 3500S currently undergoing surgery
1965 Rover P5 3 litre Coupe - long term project

suffolkpete

#10 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:23 am

While not wanting to appear holier than thou about this, the only sure way to avoid getting a ticket is to keep to the speed limit. My satnav reminds me if I'm going over the limit, although it's not always correct. The problem with relying on electronic devices is that they're not infallible. Radar detectors go off at the wrong time, as others have said, and they don't work for the Truvelo cameras (the ones that face you) as these are actuated by a strip in the road. They are also illegal in some European countries. GPS devices have to be updated regularly and they don't work for the mobile vans.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6