Hyundai diesel

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

Hyundai diesel

#1 Post by Dick » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:57 pm

Hiya chaps, just checked the oil on a friend's modern hyundai thing, the level is twice what it should be and stinks of diesel.. any ideas.. I'd have thought any unburnt fuel would have gone out the exhaust

arceye

Re: Hyundai diesel

#2 Post by arceye » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:07 am

Most likely passing the piston rings Rich, either worn rings or overfueling / faulty injector. The only other thing that could be suspect to my mind is the fuel pump if it has a direct passageway by which fuel leaking from a worn seal could enter the crankcase? but I don't know the Hyundai engine.

Fuel dilution of oil could also be worsened by lots of cold running, long periods of idling,..... and frequent short trips if its a modern DPF type engine because interrupted Regens can supposedly cause overfuelling if it starts the regen cycle on a short trip and then gets cut short.

A few thoughts anyway.... might all be wrong lol.... but whatever is going on the oil needs dropping sharpish and then new stuff in and a good eye keeping on it.

Dick

Re: Hyundai diesel

#3 Post by Dick » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:09 pm

Thanks mate her boyfriend is a mechanic and said the same thing as you mate.. its had an oil change and the injectors will be checked/replaced.. :thumbs: