Long lost shops

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: Long lost shops

#21 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:12 pm

mr rusty wrote:Small Wonder in Hoe street
:shock:

Is that the low-budget remake of "Miracle on 34th Street?"

Sorry.

I didn't know that Wimpy were still around, they seem to have deserted the North and Scotland some years ago. Still, no great loss really.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#22 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:14 pm

mr rusty wrote: Leytonstone, where I still work, had Freedmans and Holiday music, both now gone although holiday are still working a mail order service out of Basildon, (

Ooooh - Holiday Music, I used to go there as often as I could, I bought my Strat from there, and I think also my Peavey valve amp, and I live nowhere near East London! Great shop, I know exactly what you mean.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

TerryG

#23 Post by TerryG » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:46 am

mr rusty wrote:Leytonstone, where I still work
I live in Leyton! where abouts do you work?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#24 Post by mr rusty » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 am

Small world! I work in the delightful Robart House in Lemna road, just up from the tube station in Leytonstone's really stupidly laid out back-to-front one way system.....which I have to crawl around every day....grrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

TerryG

#25 Post by TerryG » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Is that the job ctr? I walk down lemna every so often to get to matalan (I am a cheapskate so i park in tesco rather than paying for the proper car park).
I live on Frances Road right by the cop shop so about 10 minutes away from you.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#26 Post by mr rusty » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Thats the place :lol: You live on Francis Road and you still have wing mirrors??? :shock: :lol: Drop me a line next time you're off to matalan and I'll buy you a beer in the Walnut Tree!!

Back on topic- shops we luckily still have....a couple you'll know, Wakefields at Bakers Arms (I'm amazed they're still in existence but glad they are) and Clarkins are still going strong :)
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

tractorman

#27 Post by tractorman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:23 am

I must admit, Wigton is still "old fashioned" - many independant shops, with a Coop supermarket being the only big supermarket.

Unfortunately though, that's soon to change: Lidl (I think) are building a new store and Tesco's are busy buttering the locals up as they are intending to build a big store there soon. Mind you, one of the council's suggestions that would use "Tesco money" was torn apart by the locals, so I hope it won't be an easy ride for Tesco!

Carlisle (our "big city") tried to keep a lot of independant shops, but the big names are all there now, with Sainsbury looming on the horizon, they will soon have the complete set! I well remember going to Liptons, I think it was the first supermarket in town, it soon changed to Fine Fare and moved to a bigger building. Tesco's arrived in the late 60's and now have two shops in the town, and are now wanting to build a third!

Mind you, it's us that's letting these companies take over, so I can't really blame them!

spiderbloke

#28 Post by spiderbloke » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:31 am

Tractorman, Is the Blackamoor Arms still there?
So many broken bits, So little time

Aar0sc

#29 Post by Aar0sc » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Hexham's still got a lot of independant shops - although a lot less than it did when I last lived there (10 years ago)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

tractorman

#30 Post by tractorman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:40 pm

spiderbloke - yes, it's still there, though I haven't been through the doors as I don't live in Wigton and don't like hospital food (I believe it's much the same as the other pubs etc)! Remember that Wigton was the first place in the country to have a curfew about six years ago! It depends who you talk to: some say how quiet the town is and always has been, others disagree! I reckon a bit more time spent talking to the kids would have produced a better result - having worked in the local school, I have some good friends in that age group!

Aar0sc - IIRC Robbs were having financial problems last year, hope they are coming around. I have friends at Consett who often go there (a model railway shop in particular) and rate the town highly for the "traditional feel" the place has.