Long lost shops

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
TerryG

Re: Long lost shops

#11 Post by TerryG » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Bejams isn't gone, they merged with iceland and took the other companies name.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#12 Post by Mrotwoman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:42 pm

TSB bank.
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

mach1rob

#13 Post by mach1rob » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:49 pm

TerryG wrote:Bejams isn't gone, they merged with iceland and took the other companies name.
I know, but it doesn't have the same ring as mums gone to bj's does it.... :lol: :lol:

CompoSimmonite

#14 Post by CompoSimmonite » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:44 pm

Timothy Whites - taken over, and closed down slowly over a period of time, by rival Boots.

Paul H

Landy Mann

#15 Post by Landy Mann » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:07 pm

Gahh I feel young reading this :D it's only safeway, C&A, and Woolies out of that list I remember!
http://www.landymann.co.uk

Always check that your not about to reverse over your tool box before moving the car...

200tdi Land Rover Defender CSW http://www.practicallyclassics.co.uk/vi ... =12&t=1801

CompoSimmonite

#16 Post by CompoSimmonite » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:31 pm

Landy Mann wrote:Gahh I feel young reading this :D it's only safeway, C&A, and Woolies out of that list I remember!
C&A are still trading - just not in UK.
http://www.c-and-a.com/

Paul H

astrocan

#17 Post by astrocan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:34 pm

MacFisheries

JPB

#18 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:24 pm

Not a "shop" per se, but whatever became of Wimpy, purveyors of slabs of dead animal in a roll?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

suffolkpete

#19 Post by suffolkpete » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:29 pm

but whatever became of Wimpy, purveyors of slabs of dead animal in a roll?
They're still around in this neck of the woods, there's one in the food court in the Buttermarket Centre in Ipswich and one in Lowestoft.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#20 Post by mr rusty » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Music has lost a lot :( the scene has obviously changed now with electronic media but I do miss the old style independant record shops, where you could hang around all afternoon if you wanted to. I used to go to Small Wonder in Hoe street, Walthamstow in the late 70's, it was run by Pete Stennet who looked like an old hippy and I don't think I EVER saw him without his wooly hat and not only did he run the shop, he also ran the Small Wonder label and produced and promoted the bands too. If he didn't like the cut of someones Jib he would just bluntly refuse to sell them anything and chuck them out of the shop......woe betide any soulboy who wandered in!

It's the same with the guitar shops, most are now gone- once upon a time you could spend a whole Saturday touring round them in East London- Leytonstone, where I still work, had Freedmans and Holiday music, both now gone although holiday are still working a mail order service out of Basildon, Freedmans had three floors, and after that it was off to Romford to Monkey Business where playing 'Stairway to Heaven' was banned, now also gone. About the only haut of my youth left now is Cliff Owen in Seven Kings, luckily still trading.

And don't get me started on all the scrapyards which have now gone- Rainham Marshes was a whole day out- yard after yard, probably 15 to 20 of them one after another now a poxy container depot :(
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.