Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

Re: 206

#31 Post by Dick » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:16 am

Gear knob lasted until June this year.. then broke up.. a new one was found and fitted very easily.. getting the old stump bit off was mole grips job ..
A friend has a 206 which lives outside was full of water after the recent bad weather.. anyone have an idea where the water could be getting in ? The owner thinks it's the door seals but an inch of water on the floor??

gazza82

#32 Post by gazza82 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:49 am

I'd also look at the cabin filter area ... that's the intake fed from the bonnet intakes. I found one on our CC full of leaves and the filter was soaked.

Otherwise the door and window seals and also the screen bonding could be a source.

Maybe dry it out as much as he can (hard this weather!) and test everything with a running hose pipe?
Last edited by gazza82 on Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Dick

#33 Post by Dick » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:38 pm

gazza82 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:49 am
I'd also look at the cabin filter area ... that's the intake fed from the bonnet intakes. I found one on our CC full off leaves and the filter was soaked.

Otherwise the door and window seals and also the screen bonding could be a source.

Maybe dry it out as much as he can (hard this weather!) and test everything with a running hose pipe?
Thanks for the info, I'll have another look tomorrow :thumbs:

Dick

#34 Post by Dick » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:30 pm

Checked around the cabin filter, it's dry.. I'll blow the drain holes etc tomorrow :thumbs:

Dick

#35 Post by Dick » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:25 am

My 206 decided to throw the toys out of the pram and eat its alternator/power steering pump belt Friday.. got the replacement only to find it was 6 inches too long.. hopefully the replacement will be in stock today.. with the truck out of service for 12 months now we're reduced to sharing the galaxy... :?

Dick

#36 Post by Dick » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:35 pm

Good news, well sort of.. collected the new belt and fitted it after much blood and sweat lost as the new belt is just long enough to go on the pulleys with a bit of help by turning the engine over with a ratchet.. only slight movement of the adjustment and its running fine.. is it always this complicated?? :cry:

Luxobarge

#37 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:28 pm

Dick wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:35 pm
is it always this complicated?? :cry:
It is on French cars, yes. :roll:
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

gazza82

#38 Post by gazza82 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:42 pm

Dick wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:35 pm
Good news, well sort of.. collected the new belt and fitted it after much blood and sweat lost as the new belt is just long enough to go on the pulleys with a bit of help by turning the engine over with a ratchet.. only slight movement of the adjustment and its running fine.. is it always this complicated?? :cry:
Try the timing belt!

Some Citroen's need the bumper and front end removed to change ... a headlamp bulb! And our Renault Clio drew blood trying to change the sidelamp bulbs once.

And not just French .. changing the timing belt on the Fiat Coupe 20v meant taking the engine out! My 16v Alfa 156 TSpark nearly meant an operation to have my wrists replaced with universal joints to replace a head gasket.

Modern cars aren't designed to be worked on by us mere mortals ... they want us to pay over £100 per hour for a "technician" to plug it into a diagnostic system to determine it's not charging the battery .. which they could have determined by opening the bonnet and ... looking!

But even the "experts" get it wrong. 1.5dCi Clio kept breaking down .. just lost power and stalled. Sometimes it would restart after a while but once nothing would get it to fire. AA attended and plugged in a very expensive (according to AA man) diagnostic that pointed to "the high pressure fuel pump". Got them to tow it home. That would be expensive. Next morning went to car and .. it started first time. So plugged in MY diagnostic (around about £150 of Sealey diagnostic box specifically for PSA vehicles .. including Renault oddly). According to that "glow plug relay" failed. So over to fleabay and a 2nd-hand one ordered and arrived a day or two later. Result? No change! Still showing relay as the problem. So I had a quick google (Ooo Matron!) and found a way to test the glow plugs with a multimeter. Two of them dead as ...

Off to GSF, two new glow plugs installed and .. perfect. No errors on diagnostic, cleared codes and everything fine for several months. Then differential exploded .... :shock:
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Dick

#39 Post by Dick » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:49 pm

Sounds about right.. ive already got a dead clio in the shed... that's got electrical pixies living in engine bay. I'll be getting the cam belt replaced in January..

Dick

#40 Post by Dick » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:18 pm

Wifey took the 206 out tonight, heater has stopped working and there's a burning rubber smell coming off the belts.... :shock: