Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

Re: 206

#11 Post by Dick » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks for the info gazza, i think its sohc poverty spec model.. i will compare the pics you posted and let you know.. its quite a nippy little car though!!so far the tobacco smell is no better.. ive bought some fabreeze and some stuff from the local Halfords type shop and that's going in later.. :sick:

GHT

#12 Post by GHT » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:45 pm

You will never get rid of tobacco stink completely, but if your 206 has pollen filters in the air ducts, replace them, you will find the air in the car will at least be breathable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5tluf3O7k

Dick

#13 Post by Dick » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:25 pm

Thanks mate, i did wonder where its hidden! ive got a filter on order. Not keen on changing all the ducting though 😫

Dick

#14 Post by Dick » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:09 pm

I treated the car to some special spray, and its better.. not new car smell but fagash lill is a nicer place to be.. i followed your advice and found the spark plugs, the French really know how to hide things.. radio is still rubbish but from tomorrow wifey will be driving it and she has a lot of patience with this nonsense...

gazza82

#15 Post by gazza82 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:23 pm

Dick wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:09 pm
i followed your advice and found the spark plugs, the French really know how to hide things..
Who every designed the 206 never had to work on it ... trying to change the timing belt is a nightmare as there isn't enough room ... I've done two: our 1.4 hdi and my daughter's old 2.0l CC and have the scars to prove it. Just trying to get the cover mounting bolts out was fun on both.

The hdi developed a coolant leak. I finally traced it to the cylinder head which has two small core plugs .. one had corroded away (even though I know it has always had the correct mix). To get to the core plugs means taking the manifolds off but that needs the power steering pump off .. which would be a nightmare. I found a short cut by removing the manifold bolts which have torx shaped ends. a few got chewed up as they were so tight .. my Peugeot dealer had to order a set in for me as they had never sold any! Their Service Manager came out to have a chat and ask how I was doing it .. he felt it was a much better way than they had in their manual! (Those diesel engines are fitted to Fords too!)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Dick

#16 Post by Dick » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:20 pm

Sounds like the same people who designed our clio diesel..want to change the headlight bulbs? Take off the front bumper and pull out the light. Got to love the idiot who came up with that idea :twisted:
Ive joined that forum you suggested..thanks! for now im not planning on doing anything else to the car, but with my luck it won't be long before im pulling it to pieces :lol:
For info its had several doses of fabric freshening products and ive re cleaned the glass.. while i worked on the windscreen i noticed a 1 cm strip at the top that was quite grubby and awkward to get at.. when i pulled the cloth out after it was a sickly yellow and brown colour.. :sick: sis in law really really needs to cut down on the fags

GHT

#17 Post by GHT » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:43 pm

Dick wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:20 pm
For info its had several doses of fabric freshening products and ive re cleaned the glass.. while i worked on the windscreen i noticed a 1 cm strip at the top that was quite grubby and awkward to get at.. when i pulled the cloth out after it was a sickly yellow and brown colour.. :sick: sis in law really really needs to cut down on the fags.
Well the discovery of that strip authenticates the car's originality. A bit more cleaning and you might even find the outline of TRACY & JASON just as they did on the windscreens when the car was new.

gazza82

#18 Post by gazza82 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:02 am

Dick wrote:
Sounds like the same people who designed our clio diesel..want to change the headlight bulbs? Take off the front bumper and pull out the light. Got to love the idiot who came up with that idea :twisted:
You must have had a newer model than us .. late 2004 .. as I could change both headlight bulbs with the bumper in situ ..

But the side lights were a battle ... and that was because they were so far into the headlamp unit they were difficult to rotate to unhook without running your skin against the hard plastic edge of the lamp opening .. which was an efficient scapel on soft skin! Two side light bulbs took over an hour .. two dipped beams 30 mins. (I always change both as s*d's law say the other side will go soon after!)

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Dick

#19 Post by Dick » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:58 pm

gazza82 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:02 am
Dick wrote:
You must have had a newer model than us .. late 2004 .. as I could change both headlight bulbs with the bumper in situ ..

But the side lights were a battle ... and that was because they were so far into the headlamp unit they were difficult to rotate to unhook without running your skin against the hard plastic edge of the lamp opening .. which was an efficient scapel on soft skin! Two side light bulbs took over an hour .. two dipped beams 30 mins. (I always change both as s*d's law say the other side will go soon after!)
Our clio is a 2001 mk2 phase 2.. it is possible to fit new bulbs while the lights are still fitted but only you have triple jointed hands and eyes that can see round corners.. for the moment fagash lil has all her lights working.. are they easy enough to change when the bulbs go? Ive tried looking at the rear lights i can't see any access?

gazza82

#20 Post by gazza82 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:53 pm

Fronts are the usual multi-jointed hand requirement ... I swapped the simgle H4 units that came with my "Style" to dual H7 crystals which are a bit easier to change.

The rears are covered by the interior lining which you gentlg pull back or unclip then a clip-in light fitting iirc. It's been a few years since I've needed to venture there. Almost invariably it will be tight on the loom as they don't allow much extra.