Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

#1 Post by Dick » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:11 am

After our clio developed starting problems we decided that with the suspicious clunky noises warped brake discs and several other minor annoying rattling noises and a minor dispute with a coypu it was time to get something a bit more reliable. Sister in law had a 206 she was getting rid of as she had bought an alfa gt..
So we now have a 20 year old 206 1.1 petrol.. 50k miles and rot free.. its a base spec car in tidy condition with a bit of lacquer peel on the bonnet.. i took it for mot yesterday and it had one advisory for the tracking so ill get it checked next week.. for me there are only 2 problems..
1, Sis in law is a heavy smoker and the poor car stinks of stale tobacco
2, Aftermarket radio doesn't pickup radio 4 longwave.
Any ideas to cure these problem would be really appreciated
Last edited by Dick on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GHT

Re: 206

#2 Post by GHT » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:51 am

You've got a job on your hands with tobacco stink. Everything, I mean everything from upholstery to air ducts, it will all have to thoroughly cleaned. One of our company's Artic Tractor Units took almost a whole day with two working on it and even then there was a faint whiff of stale tobacco. Good luck.
https://www.washos.com/blog/remove-smoke-smell-car/

Dick

#3 Post by Dick » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Thanks for the info, for the moment its parked in my workshop ive vacuumed it out and as its not going to be used for a few days all the windows are open.. its only been 24 hours but its really helped..
Another question.. as its petrol it should have spark plugs but i cant see any or have the French hidden them??

suffolkpete

#4 Post by suffolkpete » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:09 pm

The tracking may not be as simple as a mere adjustment. The lower front wishbones are suspended at the inboard end by chunks of rubber rather than conventional bearings and when these give up the ghost it can throw the front suspension geometry out.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Dick

#5 Post by Dick » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:20 pm

Thanks for warning pete, i will try and get that checked this week.tyre have been on the car for about 10,000 km and are not showing any abnormal wear. at the moment car is sat in the workshop with a good covering of baking soda all over the seats and carpet and a bowl of charcoal in the boot and another in the front.. when i opened the boot the stench hit me like a sledgehammer...

GHT

#6 Post by GHT » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Dick wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:14 pm
Another question.. as its petrol it should have spark plugs but i cant see any or have the French hidden them??
Is it, or has it, been converted to electronic injection? In an electronic system, you still have a distributor, but the points have been replaced with a pickup coil, and there's an electronic ignition control module. In this system, coils sit directly on top of the spark plugs (there are no spark plug wires), and the system is completely electronic. That's why it appears to have no spark plugs.

Dick

#7 Post by Dick » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:01 pm

GHT wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 pm
Dick wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:14 pm
Is it, or has it, been converted to electronic injection? In an electronic system, you still have a distributor, but the points have been replaced with a pickup coil, and there's an electronic ignition control module. In this system, coils sit directly on top of the spark plugs (there are no spark plug wires), and the system is completely electronic. That's why it appears to have no spark plugs.
As far as i know its completely standard so im assuming its got electronic ignition from new. Baking soda didnt work so a trip out to get something tomorrow

gazza82

#8 Post by gazza82 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 am

Plugs will be below the coil pack. Take off the engine cover and there should be a long "block" with an electric connection at the end (right as you look). That's the coil pack. Probably has three fitting screws. Pulls up and off and plugs beneath that. They are probably deep in the head too.

My Haynes manual isn't too clear and I've not seen a 1.4 SOHC engine but this is how most engines are now.

Don't use NGK plugs if you have a Sagem coil pack. They don't like each other. I fitted Bosch to our 206CC 2.0 and they were fine. There seem to be three main makes of coil packs.

Distributor? Not a chance! Crank and cam sensors talk to ecu which decides firing cycle.

Tried to get a few pics from my haynes but they came out too large. Plugs are Bosch FR7DE or equiv and gapped to 0.9mm.

I can recommend signing up to 206info.co.uk as the forum there contains a lot of useful info. It's a bit quiet now but it's a good library! peugeotforums.com is fine as well but takes a lot more searching to find what you want.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

GHT

#9 Post by GHT » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:17 am

gazza82 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 am
I can recommend signing up to 206info.co.uk as the forum there contains a lot of useful info. It's a bit quiet now but it's a good library! peugeotforums.com is fine as well but takes a lot more searching to find what you want.
That's a very good tip. Someone suggested something similar to me about my old MG. The pop out trafficators kept playing up, one question on the MG Y Type forum and I discovered that there's a wiring junction, situated halfway down the steering column, on the underside.
Proud 206 owners will probably be just as well informed about such details and the thing about forums is that you often get useful advice as there's nearly always more than one lot of information. That includes suppliers as well as how to.

gazza82

#10 Post by gazza82 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:57 am

Dick,

Hoping this may help
sohc_coilpack.jpg
sohc_coilpack.jpg (98.44 KiB) Viewed 6459 times

Plugs are torqued to 25Nm or 18 lbf ft
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck