Vw

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

Re: Vw

#11 Post by Dick » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:00 pm

In today's exciting episode of rich, really lost in France and shouting at the gps and bloody roadworks..
Day late but i needed to calm down and have several cups of tea... left home with clio and everything was going swimmingly until I got to vivy (10 miles from home) and the road was closed... finally found my way around the diversion and was well on the way to le mans. Driving through the forest and spotted some chesnuts and managed to pick a few, present for wifey sorted.. clio performing wonderfully.. (thanks for the support luxo) had a very quiet ride up to le mans and then ran into another set of roadworks... this time its to the usual high standards we expect so a 10 km drive into an industrial estate with no diversion signing at all. So after a lot of swearing at the gps and passing the racetrack twice i spotted the one sign for alencon that was issued to the le mans town council .. after that things only got worse. Driving through the countryside was lovely but i was looking for a road not farm tracks. I finally spotted a sign for Rouen and i was off in nearly the right direction.. i found the n12, much to the gps's ditaste i followed ok i had an argument with her, this involved much more swearing but gps lady apologised after..
Once i found Rouen i was on roads i know so while i arrived 2 hours later than planned. Clio went well and im really looking forward to the trip home with 2 dog's 3 kids and a load baggage tomorrow 🤣

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm

An excellent outcome so far then? I always pick my own conkers rather than setting someone the task of throwing the brick at the tree for me. Oh wait though; you're in France, maybe you're not talking about that sort of chestnut. OK, just asked a gadget that's too annoying for its own good and it seems that the horse chestnuts are in fact poisonous to humans and politicians alike and that you must be talking about the food type of chestnut. Are they any good in competitive conkering or maybe not conkery enough? Do they taste of chicken? Can they be worn as jewellery? I know someone who would have ended up with a bread knife through their head, had they presented their other half with food as a present.
:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#13 Post by GHT » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:10 am

JPB wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm
An excellent outcome so far then? I always pick my own conkers rather than setting someone the task of throwing the brick at the tree for me. Oh wait though; you're in France, maybe you're not talking about that sort of chestnut. OK, just asked a gadget that's too annoying for its own good and it seems that the horse chestnuts are in fact poisonous to humans and politicians alike and that you must be talking about the food type of chestnut. Are they any good in competitive conkering or maybe not conkery enough? Do they taste of chicken? Can they be worn as jewellery? I know someone who would have ended up with a bread knife through their head, had they presented their other half with food as a present.
:lol:
That sounds more bonkers than conkers. you haven't been on the magic mushrooms again, have you?

Dick

#14 Post by Dick » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:22 pm

Time for the final chapter of the Oscar winning film, mini series and international bestseller "rich, really really really lost in France and shouting at the gps...
Everything clio was going swimmingly Friday until we finished shopping and bundled wife and kids into the car, key in the ignition turned it and nothing.. she's done this once or twice before so try again and .. more nothing, except for the check engine light came on again after nearly 5 months. Small prayer to the engine gods , Try again and she fired up..no idea what the problem is.. Saturday came and i loaded the car, its amazing how much stuff you need when you have kids.. clothes shoes etc all packed in the boot and shoved under the front seats.. kids and pup packed in the back seat with the dvd player set up to keep them occupied wifey and dog in the front leaving enough space for me to drive..brother in law (trucker) gave me some directions and off we went, taking the a roads and dual carriageways so i can get off and out of the way with no hassle.. passed through abbeville direction Rouen we were overtaken by a white van going well over the limit with a flat back tyre, no amount of waving or flashing lights lights could alert the driver so i expect shes in a ditch now.. later on we were overtaken by a bmw m3 something that made the efforts done by Lewis Hamilton seem like a bad amateur, i expect the bmw is somewhere in a ditch alongside white van lady..
Decided to stop after 3 hours to give the dogs a walk and feed the kids. All went well until key in the ignition and while the engine turned over she wouldn't start...
(Thanks Luxo, please change your name to the voice of doom)
After a bit of fiddling praying and head butting the steering wheel she started, then off to Rouen following the instructions.. this went well except gps didn't agree and sent me into the maze of one way systems and roadworks.. a few choice words and another trip into the lovely countryside with tree lined roads and forests and at least one farm track.. sign for Evreux spotted eventually and we were back on track. after that it got quite dull as we didnt get lost but while passing through le mans and mulsanne we drove down part of the road they use for the 24 hour race. After that excitement we headed home, getting dark i put the lights on and a bulb went so we drove home in semi darkness as to change the bulb its easier to take the front bumper off.. so after a 9 hour trip in a cramped clio wifey is still speaking to me although i think its the end of the love story that is my clio.. tomorrow im taking sharan back to its owner and I'll be chasing the parts for my galaxy
John, i often by food as presents for la chef . Its 20 years and either she's given up , got used to it or actually appreciates them.. although ill never understand andouillettes...

Luxobarge

#15 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:34 pm

Treating myself to a nice "I told you so" moment..... So glad you didn't let me down mate, but also properly glad you made it. Great story!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#16 Post by JPB » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:38 pm

Hmm, caviar or Rington's chocolate ginger nuts might be understandable as an edible present, but sausages made from pigs' intestines? Nooooooo!

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Never mind, the VW is sure to fall apart and we'll be here to read about that. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#17 Post by GHT » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:58 pm

The Clio's problem sounds much the same as that which we had with our Rancho. 99 times out of a hundred it would start, but the hundredth time was always the crucial one. Strangest thing was, if you hot wired it the damn thing fired up, how I learned that I will never know. When I told the garage about it, next time the car came back they had fitted a hot wire terminal so my missus could start it. Our neighbour saw her hot wiring the car one morning and was so impressed that he suggested that they could go nicking cars together.

I remember all that area around Rouen, long time time since we have been there though. I needed a head light bulb, the garage fellow saw the right hand drive car, I don't know what he was expecting, the English speak a foreign language by speaking English, louder. The look of relief when I spoke French, what's more, he asked if I learned it at school, I said that if conjugating verbs was learning, then yes, but I actually became fluent by going grape picking during the summer recess when I was a student. He had done that too, but he found it hard work and poor pay. I agreed, but like a lot of others, I was there to learn the language.

JPB

#18 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:53 am

GHT wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:58 pm
Rancho
:shock: Photographic evidence required. Please. :thumbs:
J

GHT

#19 Post by GHT » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:40 am

You like the Rancho? At the time it was just what we needed but it was under powered. I'm sure that we have some photos somewhere but in 1983 there wasn't today's technology. I can tell you that I bought it from the Peugeot dealer in Rugby, Warwickshire. It was metallic silver with a thin red coach stripe along each side. The registration was A21 something RW. And that's about it. I really can't be arsed to go rummaging through a suitcase full of our lives. There are thousands and thousands of photos in that suitcase covering most of the fifty plus years that we've been married.

Dick

#20 Post by Dick » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Ght, ive lived here for a while now and there are lots of brits who haven't made the effort to speak the lingo...
Anyway clio has started playing silly buggers so ive bought sis in law's 206.. its 20 years old with only 80k on the clock and fairly tidy apart from the fact it smells like an ashtray its fine.. wish me luck :oops: