Old Laptops

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Luxobarge

Old Laptops

#1 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:18 am

Hi all, I know there are a few folks on here who dabble with old/obsolete IT equipment, so I'd like to ask a bit of advice.

I have recently been doing a bit of clearing out in the house, and have 2 old Laptops. I hate just throwing things in the bin or skip if they have any use or value to others, so I was wondering if any of you want them, and if not, what's the best way of getting rid of them to someone who would like them? They are (newest first):

1 x Compaq Evo N610c - Windows XP
1 x Toshiba Tecra - Windows 95, with external floppy disk

Both have docking stations, power supplies and cables etc. and were working last time I had them switched on.

Anybody want them? If not, what's your advice regarding getting rid? I don't want any money for them, but I don't want the hassle of posting them either.....

Thanks!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

Re: Old Laptops

#2 Post by JPB » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Oh damn! Rick, if only I stayed closer to the south eastern area of the UK, I'd be jumping on this like a cat on an injured bird.
Last time I found that I needed to dispose of a bunch of older IT gear (P3 desktops, Acer laptops used by a village "silver surfers" group back in 1999 and combined from seventeen broken machines into one working one :oops: , CRT monitors, ribbon printers, etc.), I advertised the stuff on Freecycle, but as far as I'm aware, they're not currently operating - unless that's just a regional thing? The chap who came to collect my freebies was an ex industry professional who wanted to start a business to supply film props. Hmm, methinks I may have missed an opportunity there!

Good luck and, if all else fails, there are charity shops, some of which will take any old thing if its construction contains a worthwhile amount of recyclable content.
(Assuming that charity shops by you are open. Our closest ones resemble a film set based around early 21st century Detroit inner city scenes!) :(
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: