Sweeney remake

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

Sweeney remake

#1 Post by mr rusty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Well it's definately on the way, with Ray Winstone as Regan and Ben Drew (AKA Plan B) as Carter...don't laugh, plan B was pretty good in 'Harry Brown' and Ray Winstone is always entertaining........question is, what will they be driving!!

And before anyone recoils in shock at the thought of a remake, it could be worse- it's being directed by nick Love so we could have ended up with his usual star duo of Danny Dyer and Tamer Hassan.......... :lol:
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

tractorman

Re: Sweeney remake

#2 Post by tractorman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:50 pm

It's a shame that they have to "remake" the series. Why can't they just use the ideas and call it something else? I am thinking of the remake of Reggie Perrin. That may be funny (though I haven't found anything worth laughing at), but it isn't anything like the original and, IMHO, it may have been better calling it "Son of Reggie" or something instead. "The Survivors" is another that is completely different to the original - and nowhere near as well though out as the original, which certainly made me think!

As for cars; I doubt a Mondeo has the same presence that the Grannys had. Our local plod seem to prefer Volvos - though BMWs seem popular in other areas and, with being RWD, there should be plenty of "oversteer for effect"!

I have to admit that I'm enjoying the reruns of such series on ITV4 - The Saint, The Sweeny, Minder and the Professionals - all show great classic cars in their heyday! I must remember to follow the plots though ...

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 pm

:shock: There are plots? :o

Danny Dyer would be good as the young uniformed Polis who takes a bullet in the leg during the inevitable shoot out sequence, well it would make a change from seeing him smoking skunk and/or pleasuring Gillian "X-Files" Anderson in that rather grisly film where he played the fella who was fixing her cable telly.

Choice of car should probably reflect what the Met is using now; on the other hand, the following has the whiff of Sweeney about it:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#4 Post by tractorman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:55 pm

JPB said:
There are plots?
Ah, I thought there were, that might be the reason I get lost after watching the cars!

I wonder if Jaguar would supply cars in the current financial climate? Perhaps a bit of irony considering that the original series liked MkII's for the baddies!

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#5 Post by mr rusty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Well I hope they have decent motors! It wouldn't be the Sweeney if they used diesel Astras like mostof the met seem to now :oops: They would'nt catch much in them! Mind you, back in the day when the original series was made, they were mainly using Hillman Hunters as I recall!.....maybe they'll take a a tip from Police Interceptors and use Scoobies. :)

Danny Dyer's made some dreadful but you can't-help-but-watch'em films (the business, severance, the football factory..........), but he's responsible for one of the funniest bits of linking I've seen on TV, when he was doing one of those meet-a-thug shows and was being slapped around in a boxing gym and really looked like he was about to keel over- "coming up after the break...my breakfast!!" makes me laugh every time it's repeated, he really should be in the Sweeney :lol:
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

spiderbloke

#6 Post by spiderbloke » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 am

Shame it's a cash-in movie rather than a series.
Perhaps they'll do a "Life On Mars" and make it period.

That would make far more sense.
So many broken bits, So little time