Bbc link

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: Bbc link

#11 Post by JPB » Fri May 15, 2020 8:31 am

Here comes a link to that safer search engine..

https://duckduckgo.com/spread

That should provide everything needed to get started and a darned sight more succintly than I could explain it. :oops:

Oh, and there is a mobile version of DDG, available from the Play Store for Android devices (yes, I know, that's Google's thing too..) or if you're an iPhone user, from the Apple equivalent whatever that's called these days, the greengrocer's counter perhaps?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#12 Post by Dick » Tue May 26, 2020 11:18 am

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Tue May 26, 2020 12:04 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'd pay for the LP version of that lovely sound! :mrgreen: Some people are just too fond of complaining! :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#14 Post by GHT » Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Dick wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:18 am
Here's another.. https://www.carscoops.com/2020/05/angry ... y-exhaust/
Did you read any of the comments, what a load of verbal diarrhoea, both for and against. Has the world lost it's articulation? My neighbours and I have a selfish neighbour. This particular neighbour put up exterior Christmas lights at the beginning of December 2018, they have been on every night since, all year round. A polite request to switch them off receives a barrage of profanities. I'm thinking of buying a pair of extra long handled, insulated shears.

John, thanks for the link to Duck-A-Go-Go, I've got it up and running. Can you help? On Google I had set up a dozen or so click on icons that take me to regular websites, they have all disappeared and I can't remember how I set them up in the first place. I'm not talking about clicking the five pointed star with the drop down instruction that says bookmark this tab. I mean something like an emoticon that represents the website. Any ideas? If you need to know, I'm still on Windows seven.

JPB

#15 Post by JPB » Wed May 27, 2020 12:18 pm

I can help, that's the intention in the following words. (Crosses fingers, prays to mythological supreme being and buys lottery coupon..)
Once I'm home I shall try to upload some helpful images and will try to explain how to retrieve your "Favicons" if I'm right in assuming that it's those which have gone AWOL.

OK, experimental treatment trial subjects passengers due back in a few minutes, must away for now. :mrgreen:

Right, so back at it for now, is this - below these words - the list of icons that you've lost, GHT?

Please excuse the fact that it's a photograph and not a screen grab. I tried to do the latter, but the drop down list disappears when I bring the screen grabbing icon into view on the dock at the bottom of the screen, the artefacts are a result of the MintBook's screen being blessed with a refresh rate of a mere 60Hz, so the scanning is slower than the camera shutter, which then shows the motion in the form of the lines, just be grateful that there are 819 of those and not the 405 we'd have been stuck with in the days of Black & White vhf tellies! Aye, so anyway, if the tiny images by the left side of the bookmarked sites is what you referred to, then we need to click on the icon at the far right of the browser screen, a line or two from the top depending upon what other things are set to display up there on your device.

Fortunately, I was able to grab that so no lines visible in this image, the three lines are visible, far right, about an inch from the top on this 13 inch screen, size of your display unkown but you'll see what I mean, then click on the three wee lines:

When you click on that three lines, you get a drop down menu (apologies again, this too has to be a photo rather than a screen grab), seen below:

Oh bumhats! Forgot to change the wide angle lens for one of the others found in this damned unfathomable modern gadget, not the camera's fault, mine :oops: but at least this time I remembered to use the facility that removes the scanning artefacts. Let me know if it's not sufficiently readable, I can take another as so far, no more hospital runs or script drops have come my way and I - and the real life Tonka Toy - look likely to have a day off, I'd forgotten what that meant!

So, once you click on the line I'm pointing at with a pen "borrowed" from my late Dad's collection of free holiday souvenirs :roll: ,you should see the screen that appears below - a screen grab this time as your eyes will be pleased to see..

And from that list on the left, select "Extensions"..

Then click on the extension called "Checkmarks", which will scan your bookmark list, replacing any favicons (the tiny images lost in space..) with current ones where they are available for the sites on the list. The wheel & tyre favicon that Terry uploaded for the forum is no longer with us, much like the man himself, but most will reappear. In the event of your not seeing Checkmarks on the list, search in the "find more extensions" box a wee bit further up the screen, then download the extension and it will explain how to progress from there once you have it installed.

That should sort you out, if it doesn't, please let me know and I'll offer alternative ideas 'til we get there! 8-)

I'm off for a lie down in a darkened room now! :lol:
J

GHT

#16 Post by GHT » Fri May 29, 2020 5:52 pm

That's just about the best tuition that anyone has ever bothered to give, simple terms, simple guide. Following your instruction I came across exactly what I was looking for: Create a shortcut. Thanks John, much appreciated. But I'm still no lover of B/L cars.

JPB

#17 Post by JPB » Fri May 29, 2020 6:04 pm

You're more than welcome, it took more effort to summarise my original draft than it did to post that up for you! :oops: It feels good to have been of some actual use, I must try that more often. That said, I can't help but like the underdogs from the world of ancient transportation machinery and mobile dwellings...
:)

Had I thought about the create a shortcut thing, I could have gone directly to it, what is it that people say about giving someone a fish versus teaching them to fish?
:|
J