Guy Martin

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

Guy Martin

#1 Post by Dick » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:30 pm

JPB

Re: Guy Martin

#2 Post by JPB » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:17 pm

Interesting. I had no idea that he was "one of us". It's not essential but is a handy genetic enhancement when one needs to justify the quantity of ancient items; transport and electronic, that are sitting around the place. :oops:
Shame I don't have his skill on two wheels though.. Or three, four, etc.

https://www.healthline.com/health/asper ... -in-adults
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3 Post by Dick » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:00 pm

Id not heard anything about the court case.. He seems to be a decent chap, its a real shame the dickheads who brought this to court couldn't find any real criminals to annoy..

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:53 pm

JPB wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:17 pm
Interesting. I had no idea that he was "one of us".
Did you not know that he was an HGV mechanic? In his early days of celebrity he had no idea about contracts, TV repeats and intellectual rights, as a consequence, he was stitched up like a trussed up turkey at Christmas, in fact, he was shat on even more the The Beatles in their early days. So to keep the bread coming in and the wolves from the door, he still went about his previous day job as an HGV mechanic. He is absolutely, "one of us."
HGV mechanic.jpg
HGV mechanic.jpg (12.57 KiB) Viewed 21965 times

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:38 am

Yes, indeed I did, but I meant one of us with a place on the autistic spectrum too - (if we're to believe the piece, and let's face it, this hasn't done Nottingham-based actor, Paddy Considine's or Ann "The Governess" Hegarty's careers any harm) - rather than one of us with a fetish for engineering related pastimes and foreign travel, in Guy's case.
That said, of all the projects he's had featured on the telly box, my favourite is one of his earlier efforts where he restored a canal boat along with a friend, and met lots of interesting folk along the way. Much as the late, mad as a box of very mad frogs, Fred Dibnah used to do.
I've recorded both of his recent Japanese episodes, his recreation of the stunt involving some American fella by the name of Steve McQueen in some old film about an escape that was said to be great - but without the failure at the end, the Spitfire built from scratch, using only genuine period parts, the fastest tractor record and not forgetting his part in the recreation of a fully functioning WW1 tank. The man is one of very few TV presenters who possess that ability to hold my attention throughout an entire hour or more, the others being either dead or called Sam Lovegrove.

Sadly, thanks to the spectacular ignorance that thrives in red top "news" :roll: papers, Guy's diagnosis has made him a target so, whether he genuinely did commit licence fraud in two countries, such tittle-tattle attracts more publicity than the many amazingly complex projects into which he's walked and mastered the required skills within minutes. It's not as if he bared his arse during a funeral for goodness' sake.
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#6 Post by GHT » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:23 pm

And don't forget that he pedalled a pushbike up the speed of 112mph. No mean feat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byZTGiWQzd8
The British absolute speed record is held by Neil Campbell who pedalling at a speed of 183.75 km/h (114.18 mph) on 25 April 2016 behind a modified VW Passat.

Denise Mueller-Korenek claimed a women's bicycle land, and total, speed record at 147 mph (237 km/h) at the Bonneville Salt Flats on 10 September 2016. Then, on 17 September 2018, again at Bonneville, she took the world record with a top speed of 183.93 mph (296 km/h) behind a converted rail dragster with a fairing.

Can you imagine coming within a whisker of 184 mph on a push bike? Some bottle.

Dick

#7 Post by Dick » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:05 am

Ght.. 184 mph in a car im gonna be needing clean underpants :lol: :lol: :lol:

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:43 pm

Dick wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:05 am
Me too, but the bike can't burst into flames and barbecue you to death, so bike for me please! ;)
J

Dick

#9 Post by Dick » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:29 pm

JPB wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:43 pm
Dick wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:05 am
Me too, but the bike can't burst into flames and barbecue you to death, so bike for me please! ;)
The main reason I prefer cars to bicycles is its difficult to fall off a car, apart from once but i was very very drunk 🤣🤣🤣

megadethmaniac

#10 Post by megadethmaniac » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:14 pm

Court case has been dropped - so I read in the press. Apparently Guy has an Autistic condition and the prosecution didn`t want to run the case as they considered a Jury would find that Guy would have believed that the licence obtained was actually real and not suspicious.