mahindra

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

mahindra

#1 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:41 am

anybody remember the mahindra jeep & asia rocsta? i saw one yeserday & it set me thinking are any left??

tractorman

Re: mahindra

#2 Post by tractorman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:53 am

Although it's a long time since I saw one, I remember the Jeep only too well! My "Heating Engineer" friend had one for a year or so - a customer "sold" it to him as they couldn't sell it and he was half interested (it cost exactly what the central heating repair cost ...). We went to collect his children from a place three miles away and I have done the trip on tractors in more comfort! I seem to think the car went to someone who wanted it to launch a yacht a couple of months after that; it hadn't been used since the time I was in it!

IIRC, there was an owners' club that had a good following.

TriumphDriver

#3 Post by TriumphDriver » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:38 am

I remember a red one locally to me in the mid-1990s, looked great but then I never sat in it...
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:14 pm

The only thing I remember about the Mahindra was that its engine was the same Peugeot Dizzler as those fitted to so many Granadas and Sierras.
So chances are that if you've ever sat in a Granada or Sierra taxi, you've experienced for yourself the reasons for Ford's deciding to go with their own engines in later cars as well as the reason for the disappearance of the Indian Jeep.

Slow wasn't in it, these things made a Marina 1.5D seem quick. :o
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

bnicho

#5 Post by bnicho » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:48 am

I saw an Asia Rocsta a month ago. First one I have seen in years.

They did not have a very good reputation for longevity in the rough stuff. Hence they didn't sell very well here, as they didn't have any redeeming features besides price.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder