phone gadget

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

phone gadget

#1 Post by rich. » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:36 am

JPB

Re: phone gadget

#2 Post by JPB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:59 am

I'm always somewhat suspicious of a seller that decides the price by making potential buyers enter their email address and play a quick game of "wheel of fortune!"
I used a Mickey Mouse email address though, so the endless spam won't come to me and the discount code appears on screen in any case, real email address or not. I tried the wheel several times, each time from a different IP address and every single time the wheel stopped at 10%, so why do they not just make it 10% cheaper to start with and cut through that pointless "fun"?
:roll:

Also, it says that the connection is USB, but bear in mind that Android handsets, unless they're entry level ones and/or over about two years of age, use reversible USB C type connections nowadays, so budget for a micro USB to C adaptor if you don't have a reversible connection. These are cheap enough from Amazon at a typical £4 including the delivery for a pair of them, but some only work properly for slow charging handsets so make sure that they do one which is compatible with your phone. Any decent supplier will tell you whether they're reversible (C) or Micro USB. Also, check an online list of Android handsets to see whether yours is OTG compatible, this (On the go) simply means that the phone's USB connectivity will allow it to act as a host to external devices & drives. Again not all handsets do this.

All of that said, if you pay by paypal then there's no real risk involved and the technology behind this thing could work very nicely so I reckon I'll order one to see how well they do. I'm blaming you if it turns up DOA!
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:54 am

thanks john, i think i will leave it alone.. i will hire one if i need it

Atodini

#4 Post by Atodini » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 am

That particular one is expensive compared to the "squillions" available on e-bay at the moment...... Just search by its proper name "endoscope" and you'll see what I mean. No use to me either as my smartphone is neither Android nor Apple - it's a Windows one.

I do have one though, bought off the bay at least a year ago now, and it's quite useful, but I run it on my old(ish) "Man Cave / Garage" laptop, a Panasonic Toughbook, that I use solely for things automotive. It was about £10 I recall and, for the money, works well but not exceptional. It doesn't work on Windows 10 though, as I just tried it on this PC.... The Toughbook is still on Windows 7, which suits me as the software for my Aldon Amethyst in the Kitten doesn't do Windows 10 either!! If my planned upgrade to a fully programmable ignition and fuelling system for the wee car comes to fruition though, hopefully the replacement ecu will be more up to date.........

Why a Windows smartphone?? Well that's what Vodafone sent me at my last upgrade and, oddly, now I've gotten used to it I actually prefer it to the Android one it replaced....... I won't ever have an iPhone on principle. They're OK, are pleasant to use, but the "gubbins" inside (technical term, remember I'm an electronic engineer) is identical in the most part with what's in every other phone, just three times the price!

Same with their PC's and laptops - plus they won't do many things that "normal" PC's can nowadays do and without a major software upgrade never will be able to. A triumph of form over function is how a colleague described Apple products and I agree with him.

They're not bad, sort of electronic "Ford Mondeos" or "Vauxhall Insignias", reliable, usable and easy to live with but Apple charge (and get from people with more money that common sense) Bentley money for their "Mondeos".....

John
"I thought I was wrong once - But I was wrong"...

GHT

#5 Post by GHT » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:18 pm

JPB wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:59 am
I'm always somewhat suspicious of a seller that decides the price by making potential buyers enter their email address and play a quick game of "wheel of fortune!"
I used a Mickey Mouse email address though, so the endless spam won't come to me and the discount code appears on screen in any case, real email address or not. I tried the wheel several times, each time from a different IP address and every single time the wheel stopped at 10%, so why do they not just make it 10% cheaper to start with and cut through that pointless "fun"?
:roll:
WTF is it, actually? Not that I'm bothered, despite having had a smart phone for five years, all I have ever done with it is phone and text. Even texting on it proved difficult because whenever I showed my ignorance and asked I would be told: "Oh, it's easy."

Despite my ignorance of technology I do have an empathy with John when a seller goes out of their way to put up as many wary traps as possible in order to farm your personal details so that they can build a profile on you which they then sell on. My electricity supplier told me, in their recent, halitosis prevention, quarterly bill, that I could save £95 by switching to direct debit and going paperless billing. Reading on, it states how I can reduce my bill. Then it says, good news, you are on the lowest tariff.
On a whim, I wrote them a letter asking them how, if I'm on the lowest rate, could they manage to reduce my bill by £95, then I added that if they could do that, why did they expect me to jump through hoops to do it? I finished the letter with a cryptic note about a captive market and a suggestion that if they broke ranks and passed on cost savings their fortunes would soar. That was over three weeks ago, I've heard nothing since.

NB Halitosis prevention. The bill was so expensive it took my breath away.

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:42 pm

GHT wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:18 pm
WTF is it, actually?
It's a long, thin tube with a tiny camera and some lighting fitted [into the tube] so that people can shove their cameras up their bumholes and see what the bum weevils see when they make their burrow.
The mobile telephonic communications device hosts the camera via some electrical string and the operator may then see their own innards, maybe with a view to finding lost coinage of the realm, etc.

Oh, and they're ideal for putting inside an old car's various box sections so that rust can be found before it becomes serious. :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:49 am

ght this is for you mate....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39h_aWTxb5s
:thumbs:

rich.

#8 Post by rich. » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:52 am

JPB wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:42 pm
GHT wrote:
WTF is it, actually?
It's a long, thin tube with a tiny camera and some lighting fitted [into the tube] so that people can shove their cameras up their bumholes and see what the bum weevils see when they make their burrow.
The mobile telephonic communications device hosts the camera via some electrical string and the operator may then see their own innards, maybe with a view to finding lost coinage of the realm, etc.

:mrgreen:
john, you know some very odd people :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GHT

#9 Post by GHT » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:05 am

rich. wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:52 am
JPB wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:42 pm
GHT wrote:
WTF is it, actually?

:mrgreen:
john, you know some very odd people :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When I read about cameras up the shiteshute it made me think of Billy Connolly and his prostrate problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8eH0pvmAnk

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:00 am