we're doomed

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

we're doomed

#1 Post by rich. » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:23 am

suffolkpete

Re: we're doomed

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:39 am

Much of it seems quite reasonable to me. I would welcome the introduction of more realistic fuel consumption figures, althjough I think they should do the same for the range figures quoted for electric vehicles. My only concern would be the proposals for IVAs on restored classics with a different engine capacity from the original. No doubt the FBHVC will be on the case if there's anything to worry classic owners.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

GHT

#3 Post by GHT » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:15 pm

doomed.jpg
doomed.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 3649 times

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:43 pm

suffolkpete wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:39 am
I think they should do the same for the range figures quoted for electric vehicles.
Nail on head, IMHO. This week's episode of The Grand Tour featured a road test on Tesla's new, 6 ft 7" wide, all electric SUV, a very rapid device that was Clarkson's first test in a Tesla since the company sued him (unsuccessfully) then appealed (also unsuccessfully) because Jezza had dared to suggest that the range of electric vehicles was cause for concern when his smaller, Lotus Elise looky-likey EV had run out of electricity during a road test some years ago.
In the test he carried out in this week's show, he filled the car's six empty passenger seats with a bunch of folk said by Clarkson to be lawyers, in an attempt to poke fun at Elon Musk's range figures by pointing out the many good features of the new, 2.5 tonne Tesla such as its 3.2 second 0-60 time. :| All a great shame as the one thing keeping many folk away from EVs is that woeful range which will only be truly addressed when Hydrogen fuelling points are more widely available, allowing owners of BMW's fuel cell cars to top up as they would once have done with petrol.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Kaktus

#5 Post by Kaktus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Well said, John, I would also think hydrogen is the most interesting replacement of petrol and diesel, unless of course there is a significant improvement in battery capacity and charging speed. And we'll obviously need a good few more nuclear power plants to generate all that extra electricity needed to charge milliions and millions of EVs.... :shock:

suffolkpete

#6 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 pm

A petrol station I frequent has twelve pumps. Quite often I go there and find two or three cars queuing at each pump. Imagine what the situation would be like if it took 30 minutes to refuel instead of about 5. Also, to 80% charge a Nissan Leaf in 30 minutes would require a supply of about 35 kW. Multiply that by twelve and calculate the infrastructure to supply a charging station. Another statistic for you to mull over is that one hour charging time from a domestic socket gets you about six miles of travel for a Tesla.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

GHT

#7 Post by GHT » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:10 am

JPB wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:43 pm
All a great shame as the one thing keeping many folk away from EVs is that woeful range which will only be truly addressed when Hydrogen fuelling points are more widely available, allowing owners of BMW's fuel cell cars to top up as they would once have done with petrol.
You could, of course, convert to wood burning steam. Think of all those scrap pallets that you could have for free.
woodburner.jpg
woodburner.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 3634 times