Errr I bought something 2 stroke!

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Mitsuru

Re: Errr I bought something 2 stroke!

#11 Post by Mitsuru » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Sandy

1. the flywheel is correctly mounted
2. The magnets are not loose in the flywheel
3. The magnets on the flywheel are clean and free from corrosion and oil
4. The surfaces of horseshoe on the magneto are clean and free from corrosion and oil
5. The gap between the magneto and flywheel magnets I don't have a feeler gauge so had used thin card.
7. this doesn't have points or a condenser! I've pulled the ignition coil it has the following on it;
PVL
105 605
made in W,-Germany
Transistor
ignition
8. I've cut the HT lead back an inch further the copper has turned black. I am just wondering if this has spread all the way up the HT lead to or possibly into the coil.
9. When I got it the sparkplug was loose as though it had been taken out to drain or just any old plug had been put in to keep the dirt out.

The use of the lawnmower as a replacement for parts is out as the ignition coil is way different so is the flywheel..
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Mitsuru

#12 Post by Mitsuru » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:17 am

After a little cleaning and some good lighting this Wacker is
model BS45Y
SerialNo. WACKER 577702841
Chassic No. PO7079

I think this was made in their Germany plant in Munchen 40 DEUTSLAND

Mitsuru

#14 Post by Mitsuru » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 pm

I cut back the HT lead about an inch from the ignition coil. It looks like rot has got at least this far. Luckily it was still able to be tinned. If it was as bad as it was just a couple of inches' further down the cable it wouldn't be possible to tin it. I cut a section of cable off an old set of jump leads to use as the new spark lug lead.
It's buttoned back up ready to test in the morning.

If this runs it will buy me some time to get a the correct new ignition coil

sandy1

#15 Post by sandy1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:30 am

Sorry my mistake mentioning points and condensor I was thinking of a 4 stroke stationery engine I built at the same time.
I somehow do not think that your jump lead will work as a HT lead as the insulation is way to low and the spark will jump everywhere.
Here in Australia it is still possible to buy HT copper leads cut to length. However if this is not available to you how about old spark plug leads from an old car, Just have to consider the mounting options if they are silicone or carbon leads instead of copper
Also attached is a copy of the repair manual for the slightly bigger BS60Y Rammer
Remember fuel mixture and age of fuel is important along with air filter I sometimes use "Aerostart" high octane spray on difficult to start motors
Best of luck with your endeavours

http://products.wackerneuson.com/manual ... 6_BRep.pdf

Here is an example of leads in the UK but you will probably be able to find someone cheaper local to you 'and who will sell in lengths under one metre
http://www.gsparkplug.com/7mm-ht-igniti ... black.html

Mitsuru

#16 Post by Mitsuru » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Oh dear I perhaps should have mentioned that my old jump leads was a length of steel wired armour cable that was too short for a job. I took a knife and removed the armour so that it was easier to handle.
I found out a long time ago that standard off the shelf jump leads were made from far from adequate or or long enough cable
I do have some proper HT lead cable somewhere in the shed at my parent's.

Mitsuru

#17 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:30 am

As the compactor/wacker is stood in the porch and I was feeling restless I did a little work on it.
I had tried a number of times to try get the flywheel off with no luck. Well tonight was different. I was surprised to find the keystone as part of the shaft, and for it to be tapered!
Bang goes the idea of using some spacers, even without the flywheel fully pushed completely on it was already at the max of the magnets on the fly wheel I think. It looks like the centre of the flywheel is steel core where the rest of the flywheel is alloy.
With electrolysis & rust I am not even going to attempt to move that or I could write off the full flywheel!

Toledo Man

#18 Post by Toledo Man » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:46 am

You should check out the RetroRestore channel on YouTube. He's revived a fair few lawnmower engines so you should be able to pick up a few pointers.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)