R I P Greg & John

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
GHT

Re: R I P Greg & John

#11 Post by GHT » Wed May 31, 2017 4:44 am

JPB wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 9:42 pm
Yes, and what's more I bet that you know at least one Allman Brothers tune, in fact I'd stake my collection of Anna Friel memorabilia on it!
I know one.

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Wed May 31, 2017 7:12 am

:? I was thinking of "Jessica", which even the most convinced haters of Willson, Goffey and Baxter will recognise, not sure what Mr Gargle has to do with this though but? :moon:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#13 Post by GHT » Wed May 31, 2017 6:07 pm

JPB wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:12 am
:? I was thinking of "Jessica", which even the most convinced haters of Willson, Goffey and Baxter will recognise,:moon:
Wilson Goffey & Baxter, who the **** are Wilson Goffey & Baxter? Your solicitors?

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Wed May 31, 2017 6:54 pm

Quentin Willson, Willson has two Ls, Philip has one, please, someone tell that to my GP, who insists on spelling my name with two:
Chris Goffey, you'd like him, GHT, he famously rolled a talking Maestro during a TG road test, he sat there upside down, the car's dashboard just kept talking:
Raymond Baxter, legend, 'nuff said:

They were all presenters on Top Gear, a TV series that used to be essential evening viewing on BBC2 and whose theme tune was Jessica, by the Allman Brothers, as seen in the following magnetic tape recording:

https://youtu.be/_W25lPno3FE
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#15 Post by rich. » Wed May 31, 2017 7:24 pm

i have been educated! :D

GHT

#16 Post by GHT » Wed May 31, 2017 11:33 pm

The snake oil salesman, Willson, I have heard of. What a toffee-nosed name he has: Quentin. As for crashing a talking car, somebody else did that too, none other than Nigella Lawson's dad, Nigel, when he was Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Raymond Baxter is my hero. He had no formal education, went to Ilford Grammar School got expelled in the fifth year, he got caught smoking. People think that we make it up when we describe school punishment as it used to be. I was once given six lashes of the strap, for getting my homework corrections wrong, by one word. That will teach me eh?
Baxter just happened to be in the right place at the right time. He flew Spitfires in WW2, ordinarily he would have needed a formal education, as in University educated, to gain a commission in the RAF, but with the desperate shortage of pilots it was a case of: "Needs must, as the devil drives."
With such an illustrious background as a Spitfire Pilot, he just charmed his way into the BBC. I wonder if he ever gave up smoking?

JPB

#17 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:20 am

Good question. :? I tried to find out whether he was cremated or buried and didn't come up with the answer so maybe he smoked right to the end, maybe he was buried, who knows?
J

rich.

#18 Post by rich. » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:29 pm

JPB

#19 Post by JPB » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:42 pm

:thumbs:

Thanks for sharing that with the forum mate. Podcast downloaded for the car stereo, I shall enjoy listening to the whole show next time I'm sitting a a constant 80KM/H in the "average speed" :roll: monitored chunks of the A1M on the way to that southern end of the country. I have to admit that the softly spoken yet authoritative style of these BBC R4 programs is really very pleasant and so much more educational than loud music, I can understand why so many otherwise normal people enjoy a spot of the Home Service these days.

That said, you could have posted that BBC iPlayer link earlier and this thread might have been brought to a logical conclusion ages ago! ;)
J

rich.

#20 Post by rich. » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:26 am

i would have posted earlier but i haven't got one of those foyle time travel radio sets you mentioned earlier.. :lol: i love radio 4 :D