R I P Greg & John

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

R I P Greg & John

#1 Post by JPB » Mon May 29, 2017 2:46 pm

John Noakes, famous Minor convertible owner and a man whose catchphrase "get down, Shep" is still heard today in sheep management circles, died at 83 today, but Greg Allman, musical legend and even more famous than the well-loved Blue Peter bloke, only predeceased Noakes by a couple of days.

So just suppose that the two entertainers were to have clashing funerals and you'd been invited to both. Whose would you pick? :shock:

I'd go to Greg Allman's do, because he'd probably have the better tunes, but then I've often wanted to meet Lesley Judd, she who inspired the younger Charlie Dimmock (probably) and she'd be more likely to turn out at the Noakes funeral. See the dilemma?
Oh, and both of these chaps will be sorely missed, as no doubt will Roger Moore, famous for that white Volvo, etc..
:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

Re: R I P Greg & John

#2 Post by rich. » Mon May 29, 2017 5:50 pm

john noakes gets my vote as ive never heard of the other fellow.. that said i rarely listened to music since radio 1 went fm & i discovered the wonders of radio 4 lw..

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Mon May 29, 2017 8:11 pm

You've never heard of Duane & Greg Allman, aka the Allman Brothers, founding fathers of Southern Rock? :shock: BBC R4 is of course a necessary thing, but you also need BBC6 for the music that's better than the vast majority of stuff that makes the chart these days. They even give Francoise Hardy the odd few minutes of airtime, which should please you 'cos she's old and French! :scared:

Last time this dilemma came about was on the Day Emlyn Hughes died. He got most of the news 'cos nobody had heard of Fred Dibnah.. :(
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Mon May 29, 2017 8:22 pm

i live under a rock & i like it.. i heard mr dibnah had passed on, i vaguely remember mr hughes, i wasn't aware of his passing.. i am off under my rock now.. last time i came out i found out what a jedward is.. :? :? :? i am still regretting that..

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Mon May 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Jedward, as in the two-headed Irish monster from mythology? :o Some say that it has two heads, but only one brain cell and no genitalia. I saw it on a recent episode of BBC's "Pointless", the game show which involves staring at the telly for 45 minutes and counting how many times Xander Armstrong's baldy patch is picked up by the camera. The winner is the viewer who can provide the most provable sightings, which are checked after the show (so during the local news, which is dull by comparison) against the recording of the show saved to the TV's hard drive. Contestants? I have no clue where they fit in, but four pairs start and one pair ends up winning for knowing the least well known answers to a series of lists. A "pointless" score is sure to win as it means that the pair are really knowledgeable and that the Jedward is as thick as pygshyte.
J

GHT

#6 Post by GHT » Tue May 30, 2017 8:23 am

rich. wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 5:50 pm
john noakes gets my vote as ive never heard of the other fellow.. that said i rarely listened to music since radio 1 went fm & i discovered the wonders of radio 4 lw..
I've heard of the Noakes fellow, but the other one is a complete mystery to me too, but then again I had to have Taylor Swift explained to me.

You might like this tale John. Back in the late 80's, early 90's, just before the rise of cheap mobiles, I was a general manager of Argos, that's the distribution warehouse not an Argos store. Actually I worked for Hays, but that could both distract and complicate the story.
All that morning I had been trying to get hold of our salesman, back then we would page whoever we were trying to contact and they would phone in, via the landline, on a reverse charge call.
The phones had been going mad that morning, everyone had a phone stuck to their ear, so just to shut it up, I answered the phone.
Operator: "Mr Gary Barlow is calling you from Northampton, will you take the charge."
Me: Holding hand over mouthpiece and speaking to everyone in general: "Have we got an agency driver out in Northampton today, name of Gary Barlow?"
Office staff: Silly grins all round.
Me: "What have I said that's so funny?"
Office staff: Yet more silly grins.
Me: "Hello, operator," I'm just about to tell her when.........
Salesman: "Robert, Robert, it's me Simon."
Me: "Simon? Yes, yes operator we'll accept the charge." "Simon, who the **** is Gary Barlow?"
Salesman: "You really don't know, do you?"
Me: "We'll talk about this back at the office, I'll see you later."
Me: To everyone in the office. "Someone mind telling me who the **** is Gary Barlow."
Nobody did, but my missus explained when I told her the tale. Mind you, I was non the wiser.

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 am

Gary who now? :lol: I had to Google Taylor Swift, still no idea what she's for but hey, to each their own, etc. ;)
J

rich.

#8 Post by rich. » Tue May 30, 2017 2:50 pm

JPB wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 am
Gary who now? :lol: I had to Google Taylor Swift, still no idea what she's for but hey, to each their own, etc. ;)
gary who?? wasn't he on corrie? ive heard mention of mr swift on womens hour but i had assumed it was something to do with clothes.. i will crawl back under my rock now... :?

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Tue May 30, 2017 7:35 pm

courtesy of facebook.. :scared:
http://bestradioyouhaveneverheard.com/2 ... ribut.html

is this who you mean john?

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Tue May 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Yes, and what's more I bet that you know at least one Allman Brothers tune, in fact I'd stake my collection of Anna Friel memorabilia on it!
J