Hamilton watches

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Penguin45

Re: Hamilton watches

#21 Post by Penguin45 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:36 pm

I have not a watch at all.

P45.

JPB

#22 Post by JPB » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:56 pm

That's understandable, you're a penguin.. :D

J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Penguin45

#23 Post by Penguin45 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Indeed, the flippers lack what you humans call a "wrist".

P45.

JPB

#24 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:35 pm

..I'd pay good money to see a Penguin operating a Hydrolastic pump! In fact, I shall email Edinburgh zoo and offer training for the famously amusing wee creatures. ;)

Terry, have a butcher's at the following YouTube clip, which demonstrates, among other stuff, some of the weird and wonderful Devon watches from the Untied States, apologies for the commentator's annoying (well to me it is..) patter, it's worth the suffering to see some of the crazy stuff some folk will wear on their wrist:
https://youtu.be/sKTck_Xbuyc
:shock:

I have owned a few pocket watches with interesting complications, such as a Doxa with an "erotic" automaton that shows a bloke and his woman getting, erm, "close" at the same frequency as the escapement. He's been going at it since 2007 and still shows no sign of tiring. I can't post a clip of that here as I quite like this forum..
:oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

megadethmaniac

#25 Post by megadethmaniac » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:49 pm

I have :-
Invicta 8928 ob
Seiko 5
Seiko 7002 -7020
Lanco square dial watch from the 1960`s
Accurist Auto

All Auto`s

Another Accurist "dress watch" needs winding but apparently has a movement from a Cartier watch?

The 5, Accurist Auto and Lanco are all in need of attention. A relation has had the Accurist and will "eventually get round to giving it a service... only been 3 years so far!

JPB

#26 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Funny you should mention that Invicta. I've just ordered one of these from Creation's site. I was going to get another Sea Urchin to keep my daily Seiko company and alternate in use with that, but then I thought about an Orient Mako and decided that the Invicta represented better value as it has some remarkable features for such a cheap piece, what with the current, 24 jewel Seiko movement that can be crown wound and hacked, the company has a bad rep in some quarters for their heavy discounting vs their claimed retail prices but, on the other hand, a good quality automatic for less than a year's worth of Practical Classics mags was too good to miss and I know a few folk who have them and rate their accuracy way above that of the Urchin, good though it is. Reason I wanted another watch so similar to the Seiko? Seiko don't do a blue version and I felt the urge to add a blue faced watch to my collection & also, the Invicta has a screw down crown among its many good points and is watertight to 660ft, which is proudly written on the dial, announcing to the world that this isn't a namby-pamby Swiss watch but a good old American one, albeit with that Seiko movement that would cost up to eight times as much if it had a Seiko wrapped around it!
The Invicta is on its way from Singapore as I write and will be taking its place in my watch cabinet or on my wrist on Wednesday. I'm actually pretty chuffed because I love cheap stuff, especially when the auto-only Urchin costs more to service for anyone who doesn't do it themselves than the Invicta costs for a complete, split new watch in a nice yellow box.

:ugeek:
J

megadethmaniac

#27 Post by megadethmaniac » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:39 am

I think that the Orient is probably going to be a more accurate watch. I would have loved a Mako Bumble bee and there was one on e blag at the weekend but £250 - not that much...

Had the Invicta nearly 3 years and its been a daily wear( some horologists would say a beater). Be that out at a do or under the Herald with me pounding a lump hammer at a few rusty bolts - That body (or at least the rear pan) will be off this year!

Good weight in the watch and it seems pretty robust. Few little scratches in the bracelet and the bezel but its not "soft" and they take some doing. The "glass" seems to take what ever is thrown at it with little problem at a quick look nothing glaringly obvious although I can probably find a few very minor scratches.

The Invicta is running 10 mins slow at the moment and I think that that is probably how much it is out over a month. So probably 20s per day slow? Would be deemed "accurate" but not really so much by me. If I could get into the back I`d speed up the movement just a touch with an exhibition back you can see the balance wheel and adjuster its all the way down at -

Its been wet a few times but never down to anything like the depth quoted. No issues with water ingress- so far.

Lume ok reasonably bright but does fade markedly by 2am. Still loads better than the Seiko which is only 1 year older which is barely visible when you pop into a darkened room after being in full sun.

Pretty good in terms of price - quality, and as you say when it gets too slow just add it to the watch draw and go buy something else..

rich.

#28 Post by rich. » Mon May 01, 2017 7:55 am

i usually listen to radio 4 & add an hour for the time
women's hour 10 am/ 11 here etc etc

JPB

#29 Post by JPB » Mon May 01, 2017 10:35 pm

Rich, I am shocked to learn that Radio 4 still exists. My car radio can only receive Radio 2 unless I plug my phone into it and that gives me all of the radio stations in the world via the miracle of the internet. :ugeek:

My Invicta arrived today, which was a very pleasant surprise because the delivery date was supposed to be wednesday and when I asked the internet, everyone said that DHL don't deliver at 5pm on a Bank Holiday! Well, internet, they darned well do and what is more, they do it without looking like they were just dragged out of the pub. Well done, DHL, well done, Creation Watches and well done Invicta, for making a cheap watch that's at least as good as many of my stupidly expensive ones, I'm loving it.

@Megadethmaniac, I find the lume on my Seiko Sea Urchin pretty impressive as it happens, maybe the quality varies between J and K models (mine is a K, so an outsourced one from South Korea, where I am led to believe that radioactive chemicals aren't so freely available as they are in Japan :mrgreen: ), but mine gives me an under-duvet light source that still has some glow left after six hours of bed and is great at floodlightiing the sis-in-law beast's face in a scene that resembles that ghostly green woman seen at the end of some of youtube's most annoying video clips, this only needs a few seconds in front of my (CFL) bedside lamp to give it enough energy. The lume on the Invicta appears at least as effective, and benefits by having the lume on the correct end of its seconds hand, where the Seikos have the short end lighting the way so creating the illusion of a 30 second error when viewed in the dark. I know, I'm picking nits again but for those of us who have a touch of obsessive behaviour, this is a big deal and justifies further the purchase of the Invicta, a good piece by the looks of it and probably the last modern automatic that I'll be adding to my collection, which is intended to be about the old stuff and weird things as brought to our attention by Terry, who, by the way, I'm holding directly responsible for making me want a Hamilton that will go on my wrist rather than in that pocket on the old jeans. ;)
J

JPB

#30 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:19 am

Terry, we haven't seen you in a while, have you accumulated any more watches yet? :mrgreen:

I sold the Invicta. After owning it for a while, I became bored with it and stuck it on eBay, where I sold it for exactly the same amount of cash as it owed me, to a nice woman who wanted it for her partner as a birthday gift.. The mean so & so! :lol:

It ran at -3 seconds per day throughout its time with me and that's fine for one of these Seiko movements but then another shiny thing caught my eye, a solar fuelled Seiko Chronograph with lots of shiney knobs and a really good bracelet that, in spite of the watch being effing huge, is attached low within the yokes so that the case effectively follows the radius of my skinny wee wrist. I've had this one a few months now and in all of that time, its Seiko V175 movement has neither gained nor lost a single second according to the time.is website that I'm forever worrying about. Its lume is amazing, even better than that on the Urchin in fact, and the whole watch feels far more "premium" than its very reasonable cost from eGlobalCentral had led me to believe it would. Although it's a grey import - but so is my modern daily car so that was never going to dissuade me - it is exactly the same watch as that which retails at Northern Goldsmiths for four times as much as I'd paid. I took a photo to show a size comparison between the Solar chrono and my much-loved Urchin, which is a sort of watch equivalent (IMHO) of the Toyota that sits on my drive in that both are extremely satisfactory when it comes to their build quality and dependable nature, yet neither would ever cause spontaneous episodes of arousal in observers:

I'm now looking for something else from Seiko, perhaps one of their pioneering Quartz devices from the dawn of that particular technology. Yes, I've criticised the electronic influence in timepieces before now but just as cars with ECUs and radial tyres have become acceptable, so, in my newly formed opinion :oops: , should horological advances.
:)
J