mobile phones.... again

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
suffolkpete

Re: mobile phones.... again

#21 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 am

GHT wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:17 am
JPB wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:26 am
GHT, sure & that's a bit too modern for you?
So it's ok to like old cars, but not old phones, am I missing something here?
My first landline phone was supplied by the GPO long before it morphed into BT. I still have it and it still gives good service. It doesn't have touchtone technology, so I can't press one for the money, two for the show and all that, and it doesn't give you incoming call numbers, but it still works, so why get rid?
The day is going to come when 10 pulse per second dialling is no longer supported. As for those old mobile phones, a lot of them were single band in the 900MHz band so only work in the bits of the network that existed when Cellnet and Vodafone were the only networks.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

rich.

#22 Post by rich. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:54 am

i know this goes against all my beliefs but i find myself attracted by the samsung s7, its waterproof.. i wonder if that counts for eggs
i need a good camera & wifi (we have an amplifier) using buttons for texting is really confusing me..
i had a look at the spec & there doesnt seem to be any battery life.. although an lg does state 400 hours?
sorry to be a pain in the ar#e chaps.. :scared:

steviea

#23 Post by steviea » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:20 am

I have the S7
do not go for the S7 Edge not worth the extra

for a smart phone it's battery is good, you can always put it on Ultra powersaver mode and it will last for a long time but that will stop a lot of functions, looking at my phone now 100% battery Ultra powersaver mode74 hours 45 min left , 26 hours 25 min on normal mode
Ultra powersaver mode puts it to old fashion mobile phone features

GHT

#24 Post by GHT » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:36 am

suffolkpete wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 am
The day is going to come when 10 pulse per second dialling is no longer supported. As for those old mobile phones, a lot of them were single band in the 900MHz band so only work in the bits of the network that existed when Cellnet and Vodafone were the only networks.
In English please.

TerryG

#25 Post by TerryG » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:33 am

If you use the smart functions of a smart phone, none of them will last a day. On standby without mobile email you can get a day and a half - 2 days.
Because of the large screen and "always on" internet, battery life is rubbish on a smart phone compared to your old Nokia 5110.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

GHT

#26 Post by GHT » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:32 am

TerryG wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:33 am
If you use the smart functions of a smart phone, none of them will last a day. On standby without mobile email you can get a day and a half - 2 days.
Because of the large screen and "always on" internet, battery life is rubbish on a smart phone compared to your old Nokia 5110.
Well why didn't he say so? Thanks Terry. Oh and those smart functions, they are too smart for me. And why is it, that when you ask someone for an instruction for anything related to technology the response is always: "Oh, it's easy?" Right, so if I tap oh it's easy in the keyboard the answer will come up?

suffolkpete

#27 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:53 am

GHT wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:36 am
suffolkpete wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 am
In English please.
I'll try. Rotary dial phones, like the 200-type in your picture (which was long obsolete when I started my career in the GPO in 1969) need a different piece of kit in the exchange to enable it to understand the dialling information. With modernisation, and the fact that only a few people use these antique devices, it will eventually disappear and your museum piece will no longer work. As for mobile phones, technology has advanced over the years, many more people have mobiles and lots of new radio frequencies have come into use, which old phones cannot utilise, so your old phone will not have anything like the coverage that a modern one has. Mrs Pete is a technology dinosaur like your self , so I bought her this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Doro-PhoneEas ... Sw8oFXyeFr Big buttons, a screen you can read without your glasses, a loud ring and nine days battery life. ;)
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

rich.

#28 Post by rich. » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:15 pm

small update... still trying to find a new phone, but as i am a fully paid up member of the awkward squad, i would like to go into a shop & talk to a real live person.. orange in its wisdom has shut all its shops in the area & the only one that's open is over an hours drive away..i tried the one which was on the list in my local town but thats closed too... if you are reading this mr/madame orange france, thanks for nothing you useless bunch of tw#ts :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

steviea

#29 Post by steviea » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Orange is owned by EE

so you will get a better deal from EE , it uses the same masts so same signal strengths

suffolkpete

#30 Post by suffolkpete » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:11 pm

steviea wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:30 pm
Orange is owned by EE
Only in the UK and EE is now owned by BT. Orange is still a separate entity in France, I think France Telecom owns it.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6