mobile phones.... again

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

mobile phones.... again

#1 Post by rich. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:28 pm

i have managed to kill my nokia smartarse phone after only 4 years.. putting eggs in my pocket wasn't such a great idea :oops: :oops: i am probably due another but i would like another nokia... no bloody samsungs or iphones please do they still make them? i cant find them on the internets :(

steviea

Re: mobile phones.... again

#2 Post by steviea » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:16 pm

If you want to stick to Nokia ( god only knows why )

Look at the Nokia 6

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6-6885.php

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:42 pm

It could be worse, at least Nokia handsets now run Android rather than Symbian. That one looks much the same as any other Android device except that its battery isn't so easy to change as that in the LG H850, which is cheap now that their boring 2017 replacement is on its way. Why that matters? Because a spare can go in your pocket (Maybe take the eggs out first), and the phone will continue to be useful after the four or five years a typical "non removeable" (raised commas because these batteries are removeable, but often only with two plectra, a good, nylon bladed case knife and swearing, lots of it if you crack the screen during a battery change)..
:oops:

The only Nokias I'd avoid are the ones carrying the Micro$oft brand name, post-takeover. Go for that one if you like the feel of it mate, these things are much of a muchness now, and don't be swayed by waterproof ratings as the tests to set these relate only to shallow drops, not the bottom of the sea!
Make sure you buy a phone with an infra red remote on board, there's nothing more entertaining than sitting at work, changing the channel on the telly back to Film 4, every time the HOD puts her beloved hairy bikers on.
:twisted:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 pm

i like nokias as they are idiot proof (i can use them) battery life of mine is about a week where as the samsung thing my wife uses is a hateful little swine that either i cant unlock answer or make calls & then runs flat after being in the van for half a day..
i have no idea what system what mine is running, but it doesn't run so well after it gets full of raw egg.... i think the electrical pixies that live in my phone have gone on strike :cry:

alabbasi

#5 Post by alabbasi » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 am

A Nokia Android phone would be pretty nice.

GHT

#6 Post by GHT » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:03 am

JPB wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:42 pm
It could be worse, at least Nokia handsets now run Android rather than Symbian. That one looks much the same as any other Android device except that its battery isn't so easy to change as that in the LG H850, which is cheap now that their boring 2017 replacement is on its way.
Android? I had that once, the doc gave me this, soon got rid of them.
Attachments
grapes.png
grapes.png (72.4 KiB) Viewed 5368 times

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:48 am

alabbasi wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 am
A Nokia Android phone would be pretty nice.
They're getting good reviews already but will probably vanish into the crowd as so many inexpensive blowers are now available which do everything that the premium brands can manage, but at less than half the price (A Oneplus 3 can be bought for Motorola money yet they have almost LG or Sony quality cameras and all of that other stuff everyone is told they need these days)!

Rich, if you don't want to sign your life away on the payments for a device that you really don't want and that would frustrate you with its battery life (all smartphones are poor that way compared to the old Nokias that would tend to run for several days on a charge), I can send you an older, but fully functional Nokia (3510 I think) that has a telephone and plays snake. Gratis, if you want it, free 'cos it's sitting doing very little but I have looked after its battery and its tiny screen is in colour. It's also tough as old boots, has Land Rover-sourced tyre marks on its keypad and never, ever drops calls. Also, it's dual band, which was kind of a big deal when it was new. In 1999 or around then, so it will work on any network apart from EE.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#8 Post by Grumpy Northener » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Here is the phone of your dreams Rich http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technolo ... PCOMMDHP15

I remember owning a Nokia 6310 for several years and that was bomb proof (unfortunately lost to the River Kennet when I was undertaking some work there)
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Cool! I seem to recall having been pretty fair at the Space Impact game on my old 3330 which had the same build, but with WAP access to some of the internet.
But I don't think that the snap fit replaceable covers are a particularly robust production technique, given that they soon became brittle and broke after a few years. That said, I'm sure that 3330 was still holding a charge after ten years of abuse as an emergency phone that could live in a car.

Better still; bring back the Motorola D160. Why? Because from a battery solutions POV, it's a wonder that this was such a rare feature:

J