Strimmer line for a clock repair?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Luxobarge

Re: Strimmer line for a clock repair?

#11 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Interesting stuff this. I'm not a horologist by any means, but like most of us anything mechanical fascinates me.

A fried showed us his collection of Leonardo DaVinci invented clocks recently, and so for Christmas my wife bought me this replica:

Bugger - how do I re-size that image?

The escape mechanism is a little ball on a chain that is flung left and right and wraps itself around a post - you can just see it on the right hand side at the top.

I can watch it for ages, it's quite mesmerising!

In fact, have a watch yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJZ53wS_eaI
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 pm

:drool: Now that is a beautiful thing! I wonder, had Leonardo lived (much, much) longer, would he have invented the compensating balance and the hairspring which, bizarrely, weren't though of until around the mid 1600s, hence some older clocks and all watches of the period only having an hour hand? That hour would have been about as closely as the technology of the time allowed timekeeping to be observed by those fortunate enough to own timepieces, a seriously luxurious item then, practically given away these days with the qu**tz movements and the maintenance free display technology.

:)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

Re: Strimmer line enquiry..

#13 Post by GHT » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:57 am

JPB wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:43 pm
GHT: Surely you're not accusing him of wearing a syrup? I think it's actually a severe case of "Barry Norman Syndrome" where one's real hair is combed to make it look as much like a rug as possible.
Me? Spread porkies about Trumpton's syrup? Perish the thought. Did you know that Trumpton has a clock?

gazza82

#14 Post by gazza82 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:13 am

One of the Committee of the A30/A35 owners Club is a long-case collector and I think does some restoration .. when he's not fixing up his vans and pickup ... I can ask him about "gimp", etc ..
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

JPB

#15 Post by JPB » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Cheers Gazza, the Perlon that I'm going to use (from the Cornish place a few posts above) is probably the ideal solution, apart from anything else, nobody can guarantee the strength of original style gimp and the clock has a wooden door, so if they accidentally send bright orange stuff nobody will be any the wiser.

;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#16 Post by TerryG » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:01 pm

I prefer camberwick green to trumpton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djm6k-GGIBk
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.