My Christmas present to me

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
alabbasi

My Christmas present to me

#1 Post by alabbasi » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:43 pm

I've had a 2 post lift for a good few years now and it's been a real help especially when doing suspension work as I hate crawling around on the floor and underneath cars. However, when I tried to put my 1 ton pickup truck on it, it's simply too narrow and awkward as the arms have to be fully extended in order to lift the car up by the frame rails. I did not feel safe and so I ended up rebuilding the front suspension on the truck by using the lift to just pickup the front of the truck and leave the back wheels on the floor.

I now need to do the front pump seal on the transmission which requires the car to go up in the air. Every shop that I've spoken to wants about $2000 for the job (because they won't agree to just to the seal itself without doing the whole transmission) so I started looking for a 4 post lift and found this beast.

The PO has had it about 7 years and never put it up. It's American made, 12,000lbs capacity and the ramps are wide enough for my dually. It will also come in handy when I get around to working on my 300SEL which has faulty air suspension that can't be diagnosed on a two post lift.

Loading it on a trailer was all kinds of fun but I expect to get a lot of good use out of it once it's setup.

rich.

Re: My Christmas present to me

#2 Post by rich. » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:15 pm

ok i will admit it, i am jealous.... :drool: :drool: show lots of pics when you have set it up :thumbs:

Grumpy Northener

#3 Post by Grumpy Northener » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:20 am

Very wise purchase if you have the room for one - we fitted a two post when we extended my mates workshop and it has proved invaluable - I need something in my own workshop to get the vehicles off the ground but do not have the head room in my own workshop for a full lift - although useful for gaining underside access for me it is more about raising the lower half of the vehicle to a more comfortable working position - i.e. so that I don't have to get on my hands & knees when rubbing down or working on the lower sections of the vehicles so I am currently considering one of these which would resolve the issue http://www.cjautos.eu/product_p/cl02.htm It's air over hydraulic so I could also use it outside when I need to pressure wash a vehicle so there are no electrics effected etc - will lift 2,500 kilos and is fully mobile -any one else got a ramp / lift fitted in their workshop ?
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

alabbasi

#4 Post by alabbasi » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:38 pm

My 2 post lift has come in really handy over the years, I bought it used from a buddy of mine and it had bad seals and a bad motor. By the time I got to rebuild the seals and the motor, I could have bought a new one but it would have been a cheaper Chinese lift and not a US made Rotary. It's quite heavy duty but not wide enough for a pick up truck with frame rails towards the center which make it awkward to lift.

If I had to choose one type of lift, it would be a 2 post because you can swing a hammer under one without having to work around the ramps. I also thought about this option which seems like a fantastic idea. It's basically designed like a pallet jack so you can take it to the car. In my mind, you can almost use this as a fork lift truck to stick cars and parts into tight spaces.

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:13 pm

:shock: Wow! That has to qualify as one of the best ever ways to spend some money from the car budget. What a fabulous device.
:idea: I'm off to sniff around at eBay.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

alabbasi

#6 Post by alabbasi » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:39 pm

It's finally up, and with just one near death experience.

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:06 pm

nice! how many cars have you got in that garage?

alabbasi

#8 Post by alabbasi » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Too many, but i've elected to go through a purge and dismantle or sell a bunch of my project cars. I don't have enough years to fix them all.

3xpendable

#9 Post by 3xpendable » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:59 pm

If that red E30 is a 325i I'd be interested if you ever want to get rid. Should have a job soon!

ETA: Or is that a 5 series (E34)?
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

3xpendable

#10 Post by 3xpendable » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:03 am

JPB wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:13 pm
:shock: Wow! That has to qualify as one of the best ever ways to spend some money from the car budget. What a fabulous device.
:idea: I'm off to sniff around at eBay.
Trouble with that is is costs just as much as a permanent 4 post lift!
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon