isuzu

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
TerryG

Re: isuzu

#31 Post by TerryG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:21 pm

When I was MUCH younger, my dad had a mk2 transit crew bus he used to ferry me and my siblings about in so I have a soft spot for early transits :)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#32 Post by rich. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:04 pm

TerryG wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:21 pm
When I was MUCH younger, my dad had a mk2 transit crew bus he used to ferry me and my siblings about in so I have a soft spot for early transits :)
mine too :D
meanwhile, went to work this morning client was out so came come.. went up to the barn & spotted a white pickup coming down the lane... mine :D :D :D :D they had rung to say it was fixed in the week but were going to deliver tomorrow.. lucky i was in or the guy would have had a long wait.. at least i can get back to work properly now.. they had lent me a clio commercial.. i couldnt fit the kids & my tools in so i used the galaxy..i need to empty that out now :D

GHT

#33 Post by GHT » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:40 pm

rich. wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:04 pm
went up to the barn & spotted a white pickup coming down the lane... mine :D :D :D :D
This I am going to cut out and keep. For every future tale of woe I shall turn :D into :lol: I foresee lots of opportunities.

rich.

#34 Post by rich. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:45 pm

aww thanks ght.. i have been driving the monster for about a week now all nice & legal too :D
good points
its road legal
police leave me alone to earn their wages
it starts
it runs fine & will cruise at about 70 mph... not that im in such a hurry anymore
i can go to work
it carries all my stuff
under the back seat is a lovely tool box thats already full of my toys/junk
the bed has no holes in it... with my iveco i just put some very sticky tape over all the holes in the bed :oops:
when i do the school run the kids have a seat each!
i can have a proper kip on the back seat
did i mention i can go to work :D :D :D

so far the list of problems are
someone put the steering wheel on the wrong side
reversing lights are a bit dim
its very thirsty
tipper body needs a coat of paint
steering wheel radio control is a bit sad
& the major tale of woe, i cannot listen to radio 4.. its been so bad i even had french radio on for almost half a mile.. i switched the radio off as i was about to set fire to it...

Grumpy Northener

#35 Post by Grumpy Northener » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:23 pm

tipper body needs a coat of paint
Rich - Come over to visit the relatives in Blighty and leave the truck with me for 48 hours and you can have it painted FOC :thumbs: (It's a long way to come for a paint job though)

Can't help with Radio 4 though (I would rather pickle my eyeballs than listen to that particular radio channel)
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

TerryG

#36 Post by TerryG » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:20 am

Going to work?!?! You're French (or at least pretending to be). I thought you lot were always out on strike, going around on your bicycles with a baguette in the basket and string of onions around your neck ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#37 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 am

:lol: Oh Rich, he's got you there! Check your premises for hidden "Terry cams" asap!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#38 Post by GHT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Rich, let's put the ribbing, jokes and old grumpy to one side for a minute. You remember that I posted that it would be wise to get an engineer's report? Such a report would have immediately flagged up the troubles that you have encountered.

To demonstrate a point, the recent SLK, that I bought my wife, is no more. At the time of the sale I agreed to hand over a ten percent deposit with the balance payable after an engineer had examined the car. The inspection was very thorough, it should be at £220, but what he found was evidence of a rear end shunt. The car had been extremely well repaired, probably, in his words, on a straightening machine. My consternation was that the car might not be as robust if it took a similar blow in the same area, maybe yes maybe no, but as the dealer was asking market price I declined to buy it. The salesman then got very huffy and only offered me a credit for my deposit. To which I said that I wanted a full cash refund, as stated in our written agreement otherwise I would not only go legal, I would report him to The Trading Standards Authority. He gave me a cheque which I expressed cleared the same day.
So I'm £220 out of pocket and £8 for the express clearance. It's easy to argue that I over reacted, but I take the view that as the car was market price I might as well buy one that's accident free.

Never mind all my micky taking, I do hope that your Renault gives you good service and even if you can't afford an engineer's report it's worth seeing if a garage, or someone you know, will run the slide rule over a purchase before you part with the readies in future.

Grumpy Northener

#39 Post by Grumpy Northener » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:55 pm

old grumpy
Has GHT changed his user name on the forum ??
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

JPB

#40 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:34 pm

^^^^^ :lol:
Chris, you're a pro body & paint man so, in your professional view, should a correctly executed and warranted body repair not be judged to be as good as an unrepaired original panel, in which case the car's previous repair shouldn't technically have affected its value?

GHT, I understand your caution and you have every right to voice that [caution], but I think that although the cost of the inspection saved your spending many times as much on the repaired car you are a wee bit lucky to have received your deposit from the vendor. I say this because I had given evidence - back in my workshop floor days - on behalf of my employers before now in very similar cases involving innocent potential buyers and the issue of cars showing previous repair work that hasn't left the car with a cat d or c on its records (which would have been flagged on the initial history checks).

It's good to see a buyer getting the better of a trader, but I feel that the guy doing the inspection may have been exceeding his required duties as most folk with trade experience can feel a spot of fresher paint and see a rubbish weld, but in reality, you might have missed out on a real bargain and if there's no total loss recorded against the car, then there's no obligation to disclose that any repair to a suitable standard has been carried out. FWIW, I'd have walked too, but only because these are easily found for sale with low ownership, low mileage and enough history to ensure a decent O grade in the subject, somewhere, there's a good one for Mrs GHT, good luck with the ongoing search.
:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: