Has the Government Found the Answer to the Rising Elderly Population?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
suffolkpete

Has the Government Found the Answer to the Rising Elderly Population?

#1 Post by suffolkpete » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Recently SWMBO reached her 70th birthday and renewed her driving licence. When the new licence arrived, the C1 and D1 entitlements had disappeared, as expected but three new ones had been added, B1, AM and A. The last one is a motorcycle of unlimited power, she apparently gained this entitlement on 19th January 2013, a mystery to us both. Enquiries among other septuagenarians revealed that they had gained the same extras on the same date. Does this mean we are now going to see the roads full of 70 year olds roaring round on powerful motorcycles? :scared: Should I buy her a Harley Davidson for Christmas?
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

JPB

Re: Has the Government Found the Answer to the Rising Elderly Population?

#2 Post by JPB » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Bah! So that's where my motorcycle entitlement went! :lol:

Last time I renewed after a period of restriction to three years at a time, I was delighted to find that at last, with the help of my consultant neurologist and GP, my licence was once again set to expire only when I reach 70. Sadly, the so & sos at DVLA had removed my motorcycle entitlement for the second time in similar circumstances.
Nothing that those wretched people do would surprise me!

Grrr..

And in answer to the question; no. Buy your good lady a classic British motorcycle or, at a push, one of those delightful Indians with the IL4 engine and hand gearshift but Harleys, much as I enjoy the soundtrack, are everywhere and far too common.
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#3 Post by GHT » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:01 am

I told the missus that we were common. She raised an eyebrow as though in question. I told her it's because of our Harley. "Who said that?" She asked. "Some bloke who likes Allegros, Maxis and Morris Marinas," I told her. "Ha!" She laughed, "you couldn't get more common than those sort of cars.
Last edited by GHT on Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:25 am

:lol: :Hmm, are any of the fine BL products you mentioned seen out in groups of several hundred, cruising the coast on a weekend? I think not.
I stick to my belief that Harleys are common, as evidenced by the fact that the Howmanyleft site tells us that no fewer than three hundred and seventy six thousand of the two-wheeled tractors have been registered in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. There's no great shortage of Harleys on the Scottish side of the Border either. Common isn't a bad thing, especially not when it comes to buying parts..

;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#5 Post by GHT » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Fine products? Strange boy. Scroll down to the bottom, that's after you have salivated over the rest of the pics:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/trigge ... gs/morris/

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:38 pm

:thumbs:

Ah yes, Trigger. The bloke's a total legend! He's an Autoshite forum stalwart and has done more than any other living person to preserve old road test data for future generations to enjoy.
Take a look on flickR, his road tests are available on there, the man must have spent whole months of his life without sleep or food to upload all of the scans that he's saved.
Like I say, bloomin' legend.
8-)
J

GHT

#7 Post by GHT » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:56 am

suffolkpete wrote:Does this mean we are now going to see the roads full of 70 year olds roaring round on powerful motorcycles?
Last March saw me enter my eighth decade. A local firm that I know had a truck driver with medical issues. His doctor has signed him off driving for a year, the manager of the company asked me if I could come out of retirement to help out. The driver has been put on warehouse and other non driving duties until his year is up, which will be round about Easter 2017.
My role in work was that of general manager, but as a young 24 year old, I was put through my HGV test by the company that I was with at the time. The reason being that if ever a driver was in difficulties the company had a back up to bring his vehicle home. I never got to use my licence, but I never let it expire either.
So if you happen to find yourself, at night, on the M6/M5/M42/M40/M3/M27 get out the bloody way, because there's a demonic septuagenarian at the wheel, who, given that everyone considers 70 to be one foot in the grave, could keel over any second. And that truck that he's driving ain't no piddly little white van either.
44 tonner.jpg
44 tonner.jpg (83.2 KiB) Viewed 2226 times

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:27 pm

:shock: Five Thousand effing Yoyos? I remember a time not so very long ago when one of these would have cost a couple of grand at most, and then only if it had been a really, really good example with low miles. Five indeed. That's like two bBs, a Corolla and change enough to buy a decent Maxi.
:mrgreen:
J

GHT

#10 Post by GHT » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:36 pm

JPB wrote: and change enough to buy a decent Maxi.
That's a contradiction in terms, John. There's no such thing as a decent Maxi.