auto polo

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

auto polo

#1 Post by rich. » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:47 pm

JPB

Re: auto polo

#2 Post by JPB » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Technical World Magazine, March 1913, wrote:It combines all the dangers and excitement of a bullfight, a football game and a ride in an aeroplane
:shock:
All sweet & dandy, but where are the medium sized VW hatchbacks with no clutch pedal? ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

harvey

#3 Post by harvey » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:40 pm

JPB wrote: All sweet & dandy, but where are the medium sized VW hatchbacks with no clutch pedal? ;)
Probably all scrapped after the diff bearings failed and wore away the gearbox casings...
Currently over 35 years worth of fixing 35 boxes.
Hoping to reach 65 years worth of fixing 65 boxes.

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:09 pm

Hmm, my eBay watching list has just shrunk by one item.. :lol: :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#5 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:27 pm

harvey wrote:
JPB wrote: All sweet & dandy, but where are the medium sized VW hatchbacks with no clutch pedal? ;)
Probably all scrapped after the diff bearings failed and wore away the gearbox casings...
Ha! You've touched a sore point there. Got my son one of those a while back - a couple were emigrating and needed it right up to the last moment, so needed it gone within 24 hours. Rather than flog it to "WeBuyAnyCarAtHalfItsMarketValue" they agreed to sell it to us, for £200 - this is a car that's worth a grand easily. A bargain I thought! Well, after numerous vacuum-leak induced engine management lights, a new starter motor and a new headlamp, finally the gearbox gave up just as you describe, so that had to be replaced too. Ended up costing us well over a grand in the end......

VW build quality? Pah! I'm glad everything in life is NOT as reliable as a VW, otherwise there'd be chaos.

Next time he's having a K10 Micra and that's an end to it.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Luxobarge wrote:...Next time he's having a K10 Micra and that's an end to it.
Damn! I just read that post twice 'cos I thought that my eyes must have been getting really bad if I'd read "Volvo" as "Micra"! :shock: ;)

I was a staunch VW enthusiast apologist before the MK7 Golf - DSG7 transmission, with dry clutches instead of the less unreliable wet clutch packs of DSG6 - became so naughty that I was finally able to reject it after two years of transmission related woes. And heater pipe failures, trim falling off, heavy Diesel consumption, Rain leaking in etc.

I really ought to try and find something older and less trustworthy than the Corolla as "374 days, 14,907 miles, two routine services, no oil or coolant consumed and absolutely nothing remotely close to a fault" doesn't provide much to write about. :(
J