Having a laugh surely?

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Having a laugh surely?

#1 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:45 pm

The new golf diesel that was mine from 2013 while last June has just had its first MOT. I'm sure the tester must have been taking liberties as it picked up an advisory note for, and check if you don't believe this (NG13VJN) "Emissions too clean to register!"
Tester's wee in joke at the expense of the car's reputation, or some known thing these days? I couldn't help but chuckle on the inside. Has anyone else had a modern Diesel go through with a similarly unlikely advisory?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

suffolkpete

Re: Having a laugh surely?

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:02 pm

It happened to me on the first MoT of my 2002 Citroen C5 diesel. It was probably the first Euro IV they'd done and the tester lit a piece of paper in front of the sensor to convince himself it was working. They got a new analyser when Euro IV became compulsory and it registered then.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

GHT

#3 Post by GHT » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:11 pm

JPB wrote:"Emissions too clean to register!"
I have a problem that's on the opposite end of that spectrum. When my brother and I wound our business up, I kept a low mileage Sprinter van, with the intention of having it converted to a camper van. It's now six years old with 60 thousand on the clock, fifty of which were recorded in the first 18 months. Sprinters are designed to work, use it like a car and it won't emit all of the diesel particulates, now they have clogged the catalytic converter, which needs replacing, which translates to...........................................£800! A serious case of tourettes is coming on.

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:16 am

i used to run a ford capri which failed its mot as it was covered in mud & the tester couldn't check for rust.. :oops: